Don't Do This!

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Here's proof that not everyone on YouTube knows what they're doing. This guy shows several classic examples of what not to do when turning. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuZDaF48oD0

Aside from the fact that he's running at stupidly high speeds for roughing, he doesn't seem to know much about how to use his "straightener out" tool or his "rounder" tool. At about 5:20 into the video, he's using the wrong side of the sandpaper. He could also use a few tips on parting something off at the end. I'd be willing to be he's not wearing any face protection (based on the way his voice sounds). This guy's a real piece of work.

On the plus side, he has a good chance of pulling a Darwin and removing himself from the gene pool.

And if by chance, "Dunkin717" is a member here, sorry for being harsh, but dude, get some lessons. And quit posting dangerous techniques on the Intarweb. :rolleyes:

Vaughn thanks for posting. Like Cody I just had to laugh. A box of rocks has more sense than that. That guy has more guts than I have using a saw for a parting tool. Using his straighter tool and rounder tool at 3900 rpm. I have to agree he definitely needs some lessons in turning. I did not see any safety equipment at all and was waiting for the ball bat to bean him. Yep he is in line for a Darwin award.

Vaughn - I figure he named the video 'Working on the Lathe' because Dumb & Dumber was already taken! Amazing what some folks can do - and live to talk about it! I agree with your suggestion that this 'turner' needs to remove that video ASAP and can only hope that those who view it understand the danger this guy is placing himself in!

Amazing, just amazing.

Yikes!

I know I'm not an expert at turning, but at least I know how to ride the bevel with My "Rounders" and to not use my 'Straightener Outerer' as a scraper!

I watched the whole thing, completely dumbfounded!

That's some serious scary stuff! :eek: Every cut he made was a scrape cut and the parting off at 3900 with a saw with the lathe running was, well, not vey smart.

I've seen that one before, it is amazing how many things he does wrong, almost an online manual of how NOT to do it :eek:

Don said:
I guess any nutjob with a lathe and a video camera can pretend to be a turner.

Hey........ I resemble that remark ;) :D :rofl::rofl::rofl:

After getting a chuckle from the video, I flagged it as "Inappropriate" due to "Harmful or Dangerous Acts". I don't know if that will help get rid of it, but at least I tried.:huh:

suggestion!

i am not a turner but am over in detroit and was just bored and saw vaughns thread,, i could see several things that i thought was the wrong methode,, but you old timers at this could make a list up of what he was doing wrong and it could be benificial. for us non turners and the new ones out there. just a thought, thanks vaughn.

After getting a chuckle from the video, I flagged it as "Inappropriate" due to "Harmful or Dangerous Acts". I don't know if that will help get rid of it, but at least I tried.:huh:

Bill I went on Youtube also and flagged it. I just hope people read the comments before using this as an instructional video. YIKES! That was painful to watch my hubby and and I cringed the entire time. :eek::bonkers:

What do you think about using this one as a teaching aid for the junior high woodturning as request by a viewer's comment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqm-mSPYEJc&feature=related

Wise use of the time lapse, from roughing to sanding. If he was scraping all the way, a lot of sanding grits should have been used before coming to the 220 grit mentioned.
A lot of things such as moving the tool rest closer, burnishing with wood chips, burning line make the video seemed like an instructional video. But do we really want to buy this full length video and learn from it? IMO, There is no reason not to use the bevel support cut in this case.

I could not find the straighten her outer or the round her upper tools in the Craft Supplies catalog. I am surprised he did not use a power hack saw which is the appropriate tool when parting at 3975 RPM.

Unsafe at any speed!!:(

Thanks Vaughn, It was hard to watch but I tried to count his fingers and look for tools protruding from his chest. That is truly scary, Joe

I turn a lot of small things at high speed, pens, key ring fobs, game calls bottle stoppers, but in the 6 years or so that I've owned my Jet Mini, I've never had the speed at 3950 rpm... if something comes off the lathe at that speed, you had better be "The Flash" if you don't want to be smacked in the face.