22124 Fence Tune Up

glenn bradley

All this talk about Zip Code saws here and elsewhere got me to thinking about mine. I have been going to shift the fence tube over to the right to get 40" of rip 'any day now' for a year or so. Finally got to it.

Well as long as I'm going to do that (and seemings how I am laid up post surgery anyway) I may as well check the rails, top, wings and router table extension for flat. Got that all dialed in . . . . Love that straight edge.

Oh yeah, I bought a Wixey digital fence awhile back on special so I guess I should just go ahead and put that on too . . .

*** RING, RING, RING *** . .. Hello? What's that Honey? Oh yes, I'm just sitting around and letting everything get all healed up. No, no, I haven't been in the shop . . . OK, Love you, . . Bye. *** CLICK ***

Good thing she's at work . . . and has her own house . . . . but, I digress;

The installation is really straight forward, especially on a Bies as everything just fits without any modifications. I was concerned about clearance for the height wheel . . . non-issue.

Wixey-TS-Fence-001.jpg

Zeroed it out and set it to 3".

Wixey-TS-Fence-002.jpg

Yep, 3". How about that.

Wixey-TS-Fence-003.jpg

Had to drill a couple screw holes to put the power switch where I wanted it.

Wixey-TS-Fence-004.jpg

Now, back to resting up ;-)

Last edited:
Looks like a slick setup, Glenn. I'm guessing the digital readout will be worth its weight in gold. :thumb: I wonder it it could be adapted to an Incra fence setup. :rolleyes:

Very nice....

It's awfully nice with your shop tools are all 'dialed' in.

How do you like the wixey readout?

How do you think sawdust will affect it?

I have had the DRO on my planer for quite a spell and it has no problems with the sawdust oddly enough. The sensor strip on the TS fence is a different type so we'll have to see. I had heard from many satisfied folks so when the price was right, I snagged one.

Just in case it helps anyone. I went through 3 alkaline batteries on my DRO and then bought a silver oxide for about 20% more $$$. I have yet to swap out that battery. The blah-blah is that your alkaline battery's voltage drops steadily over time so at some point, even thought there is life left in it, it is not usable for more sophisticated devices; your watch will run for along time at low voltage, not so your calipers. The silver oxide stays at a usable level for 90% of its life and then pretty much drops dead. The fence uses a lithium battery so we'll see how it goes. From Royall's post I get the feeling spares are a good idea ;-)