Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking and Marriage

Woodworking and Marriage

This occured two years ago, but I think you will get a kick out of how I managed to intertwine the two loves of my life...woodworking and Patty when I proposed to her in a rather novel way. The following link takes you to some pictures of that marriage proposal and the story of how I managed to mix woodworking with marriage. I think you will enjoy this as this is family woodworking at its best.

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/Wood-Proposal.html

Nice story Travis, what a neat idea. Wish I had been so creative when I asked my bride. We were on the shore of Lake Michigan watching the sunset when I asked...but we did kiss immediately
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

It is a nice story. Hmm, woodworking and marriage co-existing in peace eh, hmm... I have both but they seem to be "despite" each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton View Post
    It is a nice story. Hmm, woodworking and marriage co-existing in peace eh, hmm... I have both but they seem to be "despite" each other.
    lotsa truth in this statement chris! even though it`s our bread-n-butter
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Steve Clardy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    lotsa truth in this statement chris! even though it`s our bread-n-butter

Same here.

Very clever and romantic of you. Another example of something I don't want my wife to see. If she does, I'll get the old...."Why don't you ever.........?" routine.

Hi, all, I'm a newbie and some of you might know me from the "other" forum. Be that as it may, I also have a "marriage and woodworking" story to share. LOML and I have been married nearly 24 years, and when we married, I knew how to hammer nails into something to try to get it to stay together. I had a very rudimentary "tool kit" that would have made an English Bobby laugh. Anyway, very shortly after we married, I realized that if I wanted to spend any quality time with my spouse, I'd have to do it in the garage (the workshop at that time). I would go and sit on a stool and watch, and ask questions, and occasionally hold some thing being drilled or screwed or glued, and things hav just evolved. One of my favorite Christmas gifts from him was my very own scroll saw--a DeWalt 20-incher. I'm our official "matchmaker" user, and this summer we bought a midi-lathe which is MINE. I turn pens which I sell at craft shows, etc. We also own two laser engravers and do wood, acrylic glass, marble, and granite engraving, along with personalizing the pen boxes. We build custom cabinets and furniture, and have a list of potential projects about three miles long.

Thanks, Vaughn, for pointing me to this site, and I'm glad to be here.

Nancy
    Last edited by Nancy Laird; 01-01-2007 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Clarification and spelling
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Nancy
    great story. the LOML and I are going on 6 months of wedded bliss next week. I look forward to the day when she and I share shop time or renovation time together. We're gearing up right now to do some serious fixing up to get our house ready for sale later this year. starting with the bathroom, then kitchen, then...

going to be a fun year! Post some photos of your pens etc... looking forward to seeing your work.
    -Ned

Steve Clardy Guest
    Welcome Nancy

Here again I am reminded of how little imagination I have. My proposal was the stereo type "get on your knee in a restaurant" type.
    Jim