Woodworking and Marriage

This occured two years ago, but I think you will get a kick out of how I managed to intertwine the two loves of my life...woodworking and Patty when I proposed to her in a rather novel way. The following link takes you to some pictures of that marriage proposal and the story of how I managed to mix woodworking with marriage. I think you will enjoy this as this is family woodworking at its best.

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/Wood-Proposal.html

Nice story Travis, what a neat idea. Wish I had been so creative when I asked my bride. We were on the shore of Lake Michigan watching the sunset when I asked...but we did kiss immediately

Hi, all, I'm a newbie and some of you might know me from the "other" forum. Be that as it may, I also have a "marriage and woodworking" story to share. LOML and I have been married nearly 24 years, and when we married, I knew how to hammer nails into something to try to get it to stay together. I had a very rudimentary "tool kit" that would have made an English Bobby laugh. Anyway, very shortly after we married, I realized that if I wanted to spend any quality time with my spouse, I'd have to do it in the garage (the workshop at that time). I would go and sit on a stool and watch, and ask questions, and occasionally hold some thing being drilled or screwed or glued, and things hav just evolved. One of my favorite Christmas gifts from him was my very own scroll saw--a DeWalt 20-incher. I'm our official "matchmaker" user, and this summer we bought a midi-lathe which is MINE. I turn pens which I sell at craft shows, etc. We also own two laser engravers and do wood, acrylic glass, marble, and granite engraving, along with personalizing the pen boxes. We build custom cabinets and furniture, and have a list of potential projects about three miles long.

Thanks, Vaughn, for pointing me to this site, and I'm glad to be here.

Nancy

Last edited:
Nancy
great story. the LOML and I are going on 6 months of wedded bliss next week. I look forward to the day when she and I share shop time or renovation time together. We're gearing up right now to do some serious fixing up to get our house ready for sale later this year. starting with the bathroom, then kitchen, then...

going to be a fun year! Post some photos of your pens etc... looking forward to seeing your work.