a reflective day for me

Frank Fusco

Normally, I don't make much of my birthdays. I have always looked at them as just another number. But, today, I have to admit that I am facing the reality of man's mortal existence. Today, I have used up my Biblical allotment of three score and ten years. It is my 70th birthday. I'm not sure what being 70 years old is supposed to feel like. I feel young and fine. I'm vigorous, healthy and still do things that many of my 50 and 60 year old friends have given up. (like ATV riding, hunting, etc.) I try to think and act young. Nobody likes being around folks who act like old fogeys. But, admittedly, I have been reading the daily obituaries with a different perspective than in the past. I now find it unnerving when all the deceased are younger than me. And that happens fairly frequently. I have never feared death. I'm ready if it happens. But, today, I am confronting the reality that I don't want to die. I'm enjoying life doing what I/we want to do without asking permission or seeking approval. So, what now? I'm sure that I'll stress myself for a couple days then get back to normal. Ever since our son died unexpectedly twelve years ago, I have been acutely aware that tomorrow is not promised. I also know, intellectually, thinking about that is unhealthy. I'll get over it. Have to. I have a life to live.
Please forgive the self-serving post and over-use of "I". Family and friends and the world around us are what are important. So, my birthday gift to you all is a wish you have a happy day and fulfilled lives.

well yu fooled me frank!!!

you didnt look that old, when i saw yu in person... as for the melancholly thoughts you had better get on your atv and go for ride look at the pretty leaves adn then come back and look at your wonderful wife and and go do something fun together! shake it off frank,, i may come back to visit, and you will need to be in top form:D:thumb: happy birthday :wave:

Happy birthday Frank, your attitude for age or any age is a good one. Sounds to me your doing the right thing. I have a stepdad with your attitude, and at 80 still keeps that attitude, it's a good one
:b-day_cake::b-day:

Tom

Frank Happy Birthday! :wave:

My Dad just had his 75th B-day, and my mom and him celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary this summer as well, I told him that I realized that if my Dad is turning 75, heck, I'm getting old :D

Cheers!

Happy Birthday Frank!

I hope I'm as active as you are once I get to that age, if I get to that age.

My philosophy is every day above dirt level is a good one and worth celebrating in some way.

Normally, I don't make much of my birthdays. I have always looked at them as just another number. But, today, I have to admit that I am facing the reality of man's mortal existence. Today, I have used up my Biblical allotment of three score and ten years. It is my 70th birthday. I'm not sure what being 70 years old is supposed to feel like. I feel young and fine. I'm vigorous, healthy and still do things that many of my 50 and 60 year old friends have given up. (like ATV riding, hunting, etc.) I try to think and act young. Nobody likes being around folks who act like old fogeys. But, admittedly, I have been reading the daily obituaries with a different perspective than in the past. I now find it unnerving when all the deceased are younger than me. And that happens fairly frequently. I have never feared death. I'm ready if it happens. But, today, I am confronting the reality that I don't want to die. I'm enjoying life doing what I/we want to do without asking permission or seeking approval. So, what now? I'm sure that I'll stress myself for a couple days then get back to normal. Ever since our son died unexpectedly twelve years ago, I have been acutely aware that tomorrow is not promised. I also know, intellectually, thinking about that is unhealthy. I'll get over it. Have to. I have a life to live.
Please forgive the self-serving post and over-use of "I". Family and friends and the world around us are what are important. So, my birthday gift to you all is a wish you have a happy day and fulfilled lives.

I hear you Frank. My "friends" are mostly people older then me, say in their 60's and 70s and farmers at that. My ex-wife used to say "Travis you were born old", because that's just the people I hung around with. Personally I can't stand my own generation as their work ethic is pretty bad, but I digress.

Myself, I am not afraid of dying either, and I try to live life to the fullest which can be sometimes construed as living dangerously. I try not to do that, and I try not to relish every minute either so that I get caught up in the mundane, but the other day as we chopped corn on top of a hill, I told Alfred, we don't know what we got sometimes.

I don't want to die either, but I've lived a good life. My only mission now is to try to hold onto what I got by instilling in Alyson values and morals. In your case, you must live by example for your children and grandchildren. You need to show them that there is no reason to fear death, (for reasons that cannot be mention here) and to teach them morals and values along with their parents (your children). By doing that my friend, you and I will live out the remainder of our days as happy people.

Happy Birthday Frank

Dont worry about the three score and ten. My Dad went through exactly the same issue. On his 70th he kept saying bye to everyone as if it was his last and was going to get beamed up at the stroke of midnight.

Then he found nothing happened and for a while went on about being on borrowed time. He got over that and today he is 91 years old and still going strong. He is always busy and that I think is the key. With what you do years of age are only a number.

I do business consulting to SME sector. I get to meet a ton of small business owners. Problem many have is they dont have a hobby like most of us here have. So day comes when they are not manning the pumps at the business and they have no life. This is when they fade fast. It is as if the purpose of life has left them. I advise them all to get a little outside interest going so they can transisition to doing something they enjoy with no pressure. Few seem to take heed.

Enjoy the birthday Frank and dont worry about the number. Keep doing what you do and live life to its fullest.

Well you sure don't seem more than a day over 69 to me. Oh wait, you're not more than a day over 69. :doh:

Congrats on the milestone Frank. Pondering one's past and future is pretty common. Now you just need to figure out what to do with the next 30 years.

Stay active.

Frank:

I am in Florida - Lotza older folks here.

I play a lot of golf with a lot of 80 + year olds who play just fine and can beat most golfers any day of the week. We just had a celebration for a good golfer who is turning 90.

The trick, like many here have said, is these people all have a very active interest -Golf. They get up every day and go do something they enjoy and that has a least some degree of body activity when doing it.

Most who who sit around and watch the clock or calander after they are 70 or so will not have to long to watch it.

Just keep active and enjoy life - woodwork, golf, ATV'ing, hunting or whatever.

Talking about keeping busy, I too have read, that is the key.

My older brother is a High school teacher, he told me that a while back some study was released on school teachers, and found that a VERY large number of them died less than five years after retirement, it seems that most of them ONLY had school in their lives, no hobbies etc, so once the retired from teaching, they had little to do and just faded away. My brother is VERY busy with all kinds of hobbies :D

Frank, I'm sure you will be around for a long while yet :thumb:

Happy birthday Frank! I think Rob got it right. Keep at something that is fun, and stretches the mind also.
My Dad will turn 79 this December. He has always been active since retiring at 58 or so, building things for friends at the lake, tinkering with stuff. Unfortunately, his eye sight is now starting to fail. I pray the surgeries they are doing will preserve the little sight he has left. He has already given up most of his woodworking tools. I'm afraid that if the sight completely goes, so will he, because then he won't be able to stay active doing things.
I truly believe having something to do when we retire is crucial to our health. So stay at it. Laugh those thoughts away, and go do something you love! Those thoughts will fade away as if by magic! Jim.

Aaaah, but '38 was a Mighty GOOD Year.:thumb: Being "70" doesn't look like it's going to be too bad, Frank, (at least the first 6 weeks of it haven't been).:D

Happy birthday Frank..
You got 8 years and a few months on me, I think you are getting good advice on the keep busy part of it. As far as the biblical part of it. On your recent cruise pictures I was guessing at about 55 for you..!

Garry

Belated Happy Birthday Frank! As others have said I hope to be as active as you when I reach your milestone! Congrats and here's to many more!! :thumb: