Four Bowls

Frank,

All the bowls look great, but that maple bowl is wonderful. How large was the blank before turning and dimensions afterwards? Certainly looks like you've been practicing!

Great job,

Thank you Wayne and Lee.

Lee this started as an Oregon big leaf maple bowl blank, 5.5" x 5.5" x 3.5" I bought in June 2008, for $12.12 on eBay. The seller is "gussie443" of Beaverton, Oregon also known as Rose City Lumber.

Attachments

• Maple Ring Bowl Blank.jpg
    Maple Ring Bowl Blank.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 5
Frank,

Thanks. I checked out their stuff. Quite a selection. Was the blank dry when purchased? I noticed some of their ebay items say they are kiln dried and have wax. I thought the wax was to slow or limit the moisture release so the wood didn't crack. I appreciate you turning me on to them as I hadn't heard of them before.

Regards,

My pleasure Lee.

I would say this was one of the drier blanks of wood I have purchased from several different eBay vendors. Since I turn so few bowls, I sometimes turn them mildly moist and go back and finish them later. I'll put them in brown paper bags and get back to them in a few weeks. They will warp, but it is suggested you leave enough wood so you have a nice bowl when finished.

One or two were so wet I got a nice bath when I started turning them. I bought a quart of Anchorseal from Woodcraft, coated the blank, and I'll try again in a month. You are absolutely correct the wax (Anchorseal is such a product) is used to slow or limit the moisture release so the wood doesn't crack.

Others please speak up with your experience, Lee and I are new turners.

I post some "revised" pictures later, but right now I have to say Wow about the BEALL Wood Buff System. I took my Zebrawood bowl and my Maple Ring bowl through the three finishing compounds (tripol, white diamond, and carnauba wax) and I am amazed with the results. I also purchased the Beall Bowl Buffs to do the insides and they do a great job too. I am sold on this system.