Buying a Mac..........?

Again folks, thanks for the wealth of info.

I'm fairly sure that I'll be buying a Mac Mini 2.0 GHz and I'll be getting in in Canada, shipped to my parents house, and they will forward it to me.

I found out that the Canadian dollar took a tank....

Mac Min 2.0 in Canada $924 CND which is 68,145 yen
mac Mini 2.0 in the US $874US which is 83,107 yen

That is nearly 15,000 yen ($150US) cheaper, due to the Canadian dollar tanking :rolleyes:

Might just get this sooner than later :thumb:

Change Yen to C$ now.....but wait for the new model! :thumb:

If it is coming, there seems to be no consensus on that....... :dunno:

I've also heard that if it comes, the new one will NOT have the firewire, which would suck if I wanted to use an external HDD for video etc:(

Now for an odd question, right now, in the L shop I have two computers hooked up to one monitor, keyboard and mouse, I use a KVM switch.

I checked and the one I have is for PC only, but I wonder, do they make such a thing for use with one PC computer and one mac?

They must......... right :dunno:

I guess I'll go take a look around Google...... :wave:

That's weird about not including Firewire. I know with my video camera, I have both FireWire and USB. The USB video though, is not as high a quality as the firewire output...

That's weird about not including Firewire. I know with my video camera, I have both FireWire and USB. The USB video though, is not as high a quality as the firewire output...

Well, that is what I read, but who knows what will happen.

What is up with Mac, why would they NOT release the new computers in time for Christmas :huh:

I guess if they could they would :dunno:

The "Synergy" thing is cool, but it does not work with the monitors, only the mouse and the keyboard, I have space for only one monitor.

I have found several online, so they must exist over here too.

Cheers! :wave:

I know the KVM I use supports both the use of the PS2 keyboard connectors and USB. Si Basically, I run one USB cable from the computer to the KVM and one cable for the monitor.

Of course it's a bit older, so only supports the old vga type monitor connectors, not the DVI connectors that the newer models support.

Now for an odd question, right now, in the L shop I have two computers hooked up to one monitor, keyboard and mouse, I use a KVM switch.

I checked and the one I have is for PC only, but I wonder, do they make such a thing for use with one PC computer and one mac?

They must......... right :dunno:

We use Startech for kvm switches here at the University.
Here is their page for desktop kvm solutions.

It would be simpler if your PC supported USB for keyboard and mouse -- is it new enough for that? The Mac uses USB keyboards and mice, so it'd be easier to get a KVM that just switched USB and video.

best,
...art

The "Synergy" thing is cool, but it does not work with the monitors, only the mouse and the keyboard, I have space for only one monitor

Yeah that does look interesting.

But I have to wonder how you do it with PCs, since they won't boot without a keybard/mouse plugged in. Do you need a special dongle?

Another software option would be VNC - you install VNC server on the different machines. this lets a remote client "take over" the display/mouse/kbd of the server. This would let you manage multiple machines.

But in your case, I think a simple KVM switch would be a lot easier.

FYI, I just found this on macrumours.com

"Apple has issued a statement to Macworld clarifying that there are no plans for any new products before the holiday season.

"Our holiday line-up is set," Apple spokesman Bill Evans told Macworld.
This announcement squashes circulating rumors that the iMac and Mac mini are scheduled for imminent updates.

An iMac update had initially been seen as a surprising possibility, as it was one of the more recently updated Apple products. Still, the iMac generally shares the same internal hardware as Apple's notebooks, making it natural to believe that they might see similar upgrades. The fate of the Mac mini remains unknown, as it has not been updated since August 2007.

The next major Apple event is Macworld San Francisco which will be held in early January 2009. "

I'm torn between "Darn it, I want a new mac" and "Whew, I get to keep my money for a few more months" (I'm thinking also about a new iMac, like Stu, but not until a new one is released.)