SOME Things Are Looking UP

Norman Hitt

As most of you know, I have mentioned from time to time about the POORER than average quality, (even for Borgs) of the wood products, AND Management and employees at OUR local HD, and many times drive the 45/50 mile round trip to Midland to go to either the Lowes or the HD there, which is much better. Well, not only is the price of Gas coming down Buuuuut.....I am NO LONGER relegated to having to use the local HD OR make that expensive drive to get my supplies. As of Oct. 18 th, I now have to drive 1.1 miles north on my street, turn right and go 200 yards and make a left turn into the parking lot of our "BRAND NEW LOWE'S" Store, and it is FANTASTIC, with MUCH more and higher quality materials. The Employees are also very nice and helpful, (and did I mention that it is 1 1/2 miles closer than the old HD).:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Like I said, SOME Things are definitely looking UP.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I even had a $10 off cupon for my first purchase of 22 studs which was nice.

I too travel farther to get to the "next" HD as the local one surprises me every day it is able to stay open. It must be the big guy's son-in-law's store or something because they are terrible. The Lowe's is much better as far as BORG's go. In their defense, when I lived in central California for a spell, it was the opposite . . . nicest HD I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Yep, that is good news, for your, and you might just see the local HD up their game..................... could happen........ :dunno: :D
Yeah, I've been waiting for this for a long time, 'cause even if the new store slacks off some, at least it will give solid competition and the HD will have to improve or shut down.:D

I too travel farther to get to the "next" HD as the local one surprises me every day it is able to stay open. It must be the big guy's son-in-law's store or something because they are terrible. The Lowe's is much better as far as BORG's go. In their defense, when I lived in central California for a spell, it was the opposite . . . nicest HD I've ever seen.

I used to deliver to quite a few HD's in my "Trucking Era",(several scattered across Ca. too), and there were sure a lot of differences from one to another, and I think Local and/or Regional Management must have been a big part of it. The ONLY thing I found, (merchandise wise) that I liked better at HD is that they carry the PINK fiberglass insulation which I like a lot better than that White Stuff they carry at Lowe's. In the area where my Daughters live, the HD is much better than the one here, but right across the street there is a monstrous Lowe's and it is definitely a cut above that HD too.

I much prefer Lowe's also. We have a HD almost next to the Lowe's but I go in it, reluctantly, only about once a year. Prices are much higher, service is awful and management has a 'couldn't care less' attitude.

I much prefer Lowe's also. We have a HD almost next to the Lowe's but I go in it, reluctantly, only about once a year. Prices are much higher, service is awful and management has a 'couldn't care less' attitude.

Out here, I haven't noticed a "large" difference in pricing, BUT, from your description it sounds like you have been HERE, because you described it PERFECTLY.:D

Annnnnd......Lowe's isn't too greedy to hire Cashiers, and put a LITTLE money back into the local economy. I ALWAYS use the Commercial checkout @ HD though because 90% of the time the machines are hung up and most of the stuff I buy there can't be checked out on those machines anyhow, (or I sure haven't figured out how. Even at the commercial Ck/O, most of the time they only have one cash register open and typical time in the checkout line is 30 to 45 minutes.

Today was a classic example.

I had to work this morning, then decided Id had enough, time to get home and rest.
I stopped off at HD cause I needed a heavy duty lid cover bracket for the chest I built.
I searched around, and I was in the right aisle, but the few that they had, were thrown down off the hooks, mixed in with gate hinges, etc....
After getting someone to help me, who worked there, and the wait wasnt bad at all for a change, without even looking, I was told no, thats all we sell.
(it was not heavy duty enough, and Im almost sure I bought a heavy duty one there not more than a year ago)
So I figured, ok, let me buy this one, cheap enough, and Ill buy a left and right side, that should do it.
Only left, no rights, so I waited again, asked someone if they can check all the boxes way up top to see if there were any rights, and I got 2 responses of sorry, this isnt my department, but Ill send someone right over.
I waited almost 15 minutes, I had enough.