how do you

Dear Abby,
There are three things I have seen lately that I hope someone might explain.
#1 how do you draw on someone else's photo, ( I noticed a red line with an arrow pointing to a specific place in the photo in "reply to a thread" in Stu's shop). Is that freedom limited to just straight lines? :rolleyes:
#2 In replying to a specific sentence within a lengthy post how do we isolate that specific segment for a reply, and :huh:
#3 how in one "reply to thread" can you in corporate the specific quotes of different people , thus not having to create a new post for each seperate reply. :dunno:
Dazed and Confused

#1 how do you draw on someone else's photo, ( I noticed a red line with an arrow pointing to a specific place in the photo in "reply to a thread" in Stu's shop). Is that freedom limited to just straight lines? :rolleyes:
#2 In replying to a specific sentence within a lengthy post how do we isolate that specific segment for a reply, and :huh:
#3 how in one "reply to thread" can you in corporate the specific quotes of different people , thus not having to create a new post for each seperate reply.

#1 - depends on your software. Photoshop and Gimp both offer painting tools. Tell us what software you use and someone will hopefully be able to help

#2 - When I click the "quote" button it quotes your entire message. It is a simple matter to delete the bits that you don't want. Just make sure the "QUOTE= blah blah blah" and "/quote" tags at the front and end are left intact. Those are the bits that make it a quote. (There are left/right brackets around the quote tags, but if I put them in my reply it'll make an actual quote, instead of letting me explain the quote.)

#3 - beside the quote button is a button with double quotes " on it and also a plus sign. Click that for each message that you want to refer to, and then on the last message click the quote button and you'll see all of the messages quoted in your reply.

Does that help?
...art

If you're running Windows, Microsoft Paint will let you do enough basic drawing to add text or arrows to pics. If you're adding text though, set 'Draw Opaque' on the Image menu to off, otherwise you'll cover up the pic with the enclosing text box. Art covered the other ones.

#1 - depends on your software. Photoshop and Gimp both offer painting tools. Tell us what software you use and someone will hopefully be able to help

#2 - When I click the "quote" button it quotes your entire message. It is a simple matter to delete the bits that you don't want. Just make sure the "QUOTE= blah blah blah" and "/quote" tags at the front and end are left intact. Those are the bits that make it a quote. (There are left/right brackets around the quote tags, but if I put them in my reply it'll make an actual quote, instead of letting me explain the quote.)

#3 - beside the quote button is a button with double quotes " on it and also a plus sign. Click that for each message that you want to refer to, and then on the last message click the quote button and you'll see all of the messages quoted in your reply.

Does that help?
...art
Hi Art,
Thanks for responding. :) What I learn will only help me become better at sharing.
Realize, talking to me is like talking to someone from a foreign land when it comes to computer stuff.
I appreciate your input and I am going to try out this knowledge in the other part of this forum, you know, the post and respond to self thread.:)
To #1 I can use photoshop or paint but how do I get and image from our forum to photoshop and then back? Oh and one other thing, I haven't responded to your assistance because stuff came up and I completely forgot I asked these questions. :rolleyes: Forgive me.
Shaz
Shaz

If you're running Windows, Microsoft Paint will let you do enough basic drawing to add text or arrows to pics. If you're adding text though, set 'Draw Opaque' on the Image menu to off, otherwise you'll cover up the pic with the enclosing text box. Art covered the other ones.
Hi Doug,
Matter of fact I do run windows and am familiar with paint. That tip about setting 'draw opaque' on Image menu to off is something I must try, I understand the 'opaqueness' behind the letters you speak of. Thanks.:)
What you and Art don't understand is that with me in this cosmic wasteland of cyberspace and keyboards, getting 'paint' and/or 'Word' connected with anything that is not on the same screen is asking almost tooo much at this time. My knowledge base is too limited. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your help, that is what I need, thank you.
Sorry to be late in responding. Forgive me:eek:
Shaz

To #1 I can use photoshop or paint but how do I get and image from our forum to photoshop and then back?
Shaz

Right click on the image. Unless a site doesn't want you to download their pictures and has disabled this function, you should see a "Save Picture As..." choice on the Popup Context menu. When the Save File dialog box comes up, it should already have the filename (and file extension - usually jpg, bmp, or gif) filled in with whatever the author named the file. You can leave the name as is, but can also rename it if you want. The important thing is to store it on your hard drive where you can find it later. By default this will probably be in your MyDocuments->MyPictures folder but you can put it anywhere you want. Then fire up photoshop, paint, whatever and choose FileOpen from it's menu and navigate to wherever you saved the pic and select it. Voila.

Right click on the image. Unless a site doesn't want you to download their pictures and has disabled this function, you should see a "Save Picture As..." choice on the Popup Context menu. When the Save File dialog box comes up, it should already have the filename (and file extension - usually jpg, bmp, or gif) filled in with whatever the author named the file. You can leave the name as is, but can also rename it if you want. The important thing is to store it on your hard drive where you can find it later. By default this will probably be in your MyDocuments->MyPictures folder but you can put it anywhere you want. Then fire up photoshop, paint, whatever and choose FileOpen from it's menu and navigate to wherever you saved the pic and select it. Voila.
Hi Doug,
As you can see, I am able to educate. :wave:
ChinaWallpaper with help.jpg
This explanation was understandable, thanks for the explicit details, I needed them! :thumb:
Thanks again.
Shaz
I am going to try Art's ideas next. Appreciate the help :)

Hey Art,
Thanks very much for the advice on quotes, I tried what you said and it worked :wave: , I tried the easy part. I need to go back to your writing and try to digest a bit more, but, you have me hot on the trail toward understanding.
Thank you, :)
Shaz

Hi Doug,
As you can see, I am able to educate. :wave:
View attachment 2626
This explanation was understandable, thanks for the explicit details, I needed them! :thumb:
Thanks again.
Shaz
I am going to try Art's ideas next. Appreciate the help :)
Loks like you got 'er figured out, Shaz. :thumb:

What's that old saying about you can't make a silk purse out of an old dog's tricks, but his clock will still be right twice a day if you lead him to water? Or something like that. :huh: :D

Loks like you got 'er figured out, Shaz. :thumb:
Thanks Vaughn...
What's that old saying about you can't make a silk purse out of an old dog's tricks, but his clock will still be right twice a day if you lead him to water? Or something like that. :huh: :D
Oh, Vaughn, and as far as the above saying goes, it only reenforces the concept fostered here , that 'when you were born all tablesaws running worldwide, for just a moment cut a little narrower kerf, with a little lest waste and the lathes all turned a wee bit more true, and song was felt in the belly of woodworkers across the globe, and the eskimoes put down the whale bones they were gnawing on and smiled at each other'. :D:wave: I think Robert Frost wrote that. :type: :rofl:
Shaz