DVR finally here - gloat

Lee Laird

I finally got my Nova DVR XP. :D For those who didn't see my earlier post, I'd put it on lay-a-way at the local Woodcraft due to some sweet discount pricing. I bought the lathe, the swing away hinge, the extension bed, and a Super Nova2 chuck. I haven't attached the swing away nor the extension bed yet, but that will likely occur in the next couple of days. I just had to get the lathe up and making some kind of curlies. I couldn't wait. It's amazing how smooth this baby is. After I got the lathe, a buddy of mine mentioned he had a brand new stand for his 1624 and didn't need it. I took him up on his offer and got it for a steal. Now if I can get the layout in my shop (read garage) right I'll be set. I guess having some time to use it might help, too. :dunno:

Regards,

Attachments

• DVR swing away2.jpg
    DVR swing away2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 58
  • DVR with new stand2.jpg
    DVR with new stand2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 116
Congratulations Lee, I also got mine a couple of weeks ago. Pretty much the same setup as yours except the stand. I just started acquiring materials yesterday for the stand and hopefully get started cutting on some steel today. These lathes sure do look nice and you are right about them being Smoooooth!

I can't wait till I get mine up and going. Have Fun and make plenty of curls.

Alan

Thanks everyone. Funny how my vision has widened since getting the lathe. Last night I was taking my high school daughter to the gym for cheer practice and I noticed some fairly large sections of tree out for the trash or brush pickup. I'm sure it wouldn't have even come up on the radar before. After practice was over my daughter and I had to pay a visit to said location and toss a couple of pieces into the trunk of my car. I'm sure it's not great wood but it is sectioned and ready to fit on the lathe and will be plenty good for practice.

Alan,

The stand I got is a mix of cast iron and steel. If you look closely in the picture, the grey area bolted to the lathe is cast iron while the black legs are steel. Feels pretty solid. The feet have holes where one could bolt it to the floor or a sheet of plywood. I may opt for the latter so I can toss some bags of sand on the plywood for ballast.

Regards,

Congrats! I also have the same lathe. With the number of members having this lathe, it looks like we'll have to create a Nova DVR Appreciation Club! :rofl:

lee, you could also fill the hollow square tubing legs with sand. they were made for that. if that's not enough weight you can always add a shelf and sand bags there. btw, those feet are a very clever design...not only adjustable in height but they swivel for an uneven floor and have a hard rubber piece in the mounting for dampening.

Maybe think about bulk lead shot from shotgun loads in the legs. We use shot for ballast in scuba gear on a regular basis. Or lead fishing weights melted into the legs.

First bowl from DVR

All - Thanks for the great support. It never crossed my mind that I might be able to put sand or shot into the hollow legs of the stand. I may have to try one of those two materials. I wish I had some magic comparison machine to see how much difference the small volume of sand or shot would make.

Jim - Yeah, I remember using shot (or any number of small weights) when we were diving, too. We got certified a little over 20 years ago and glancing through a dive magazine, the new equipment really leapt out at us. Funny how some things never change and others change on what seems to be a daily basis.

Clark - I didn't see any attachment point, per se, for a shelf. Any ideas on doing that?

I finally got a chance to play with my new toy! I picked up a piece of Cocobolo from the local Woodcraft and had some fun. This is still only the second bowl that I've made but and I think it is better than the first, but I still have some practicing to do. Feel free to let me know your thoughts on my bowl.

Attachments

• Coco Bowl4.jpg
    Coco Bowl4.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Coco Bowl2.jpg
    Coco Bowl2.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Coco Bowl Bottom1.jpg
    Coco Bowl Bottom1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 13
Stu,

Thanks and the ride was soooo smooth. :D Quite the jump from my Jet Mini. Hard to believe there is such a difference. I'm just using it in the 115v mode since it came pre-wired as such. I'll likely rewire it sometime in the future so I can utilize the HP gain. I don't recall seeing the how-to in the manual. Seems like you posted about using your DVR in both 120/240v. What was required to change over?

Vaughn,

Thanks. I hope my learning curve continues in a similar manner. Are you sure you don't have a webcam in my garage??? :rofl: I was grinning so big that I could hardly see the wood when turning! ;)

Has anyone queried the masses to see what tools they have for the lathe including size and make? Is there anyone else that would find interest in this?? :dunno:

Regards,

Last edited:
Update - Swing Away and Extension bed now attached

Finally got the time to install the Swing Away and extension bed. Install was pretty easy. The only hard part came when installing the extension bed, after the swing away was installed, and working through the bed openings to tighten up the connection. Nice having the extra distance between centers and the luxury of moving the tail stock over to the extension bed and swinging them both out of the way while turning a bowl. I've got some pictures below that highlight the important parts of the new add-on. I drew on some yellow arrows to bring attention to the important parts. First picture shows some of the curlies left from some work on a osage orange piece.

Regards

Attachments

• Nova SA clip upclose.jpg
    Nova SA clip upclose.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 19
  • Nova SA closed clip.jpg
    Nova SA closed clip.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Nova SA clip closed upclose.jpg
    Nova SA clip closed upclose.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Nova SA open.jpg