OK, watts with 220?

Hi Frank

I'll try different way...I'll compare Electricity to Hydraulics...

The Voltage is the Hydraulic Pressure....like 500 PSI - 1,000 PSI - 3,000 PSI

The Amperes is the Hydraulic Flow like 10 GPM - 50 GPM - 100 GPM

Lets say that if you multiply the Pressure by the Flow, you'll get Work...
Pressure x Flow = Work

So you can see very easy that, if the Pressure is lower - you need more Flow to get the same level of work.

Same in Electricity - if the Voltage is low - you need more Amperes to get the same level of work...and from that you can see that by increasing the Voltage (pressure) you can decrease the Amperes (Flow).

Of course if the hydraulic pressure is low and you need high flow to get the same level of work, you must increase the tubes diameter so they will be capable to deliver this high flow.....if the tubes will have smaller diameter, you will not be able to deliver all the flow to get your pre-determined level of work...

Same in electricity, if the Voltage is low, you shall need thicker wires to deliver all the Amperes needed and, if the Voltage is high, you can use thinner wires.

Volt x Ampere = Watt (true for DC motors, heater etc, but we are not going to build the motor, do we :):)

Watt, is a unit of Work
A little bit less than 746W = 1 HP

You can get 1HP with 120V and 6.2A (120 x 6.2 = ~746) or,
You can get 1HP with 240V and 3.1A (half of the flow)

The above is only an example...You will never get 1HP from 120V and 6.2A because this is the Input power to the motor and, as you know, converting one kind of Energy (Electric) to another kind of Energy (Mechanical work) is never 100%.

The amount (in %) that a given motor can convert Electricity to Mechanical work is called "Motor Efficiency"....normal efficiency (for induction motors) is around 60~70% and to get the real HP you have to multiply the Input Watts (or HP - that is the same as Watts) by the "Motor efficiency" factor that....non of the makers will let you know the motor efficiency....

You can work with 120V or 240V but....the Electric bill will show the same $$$ because the electric company charges you according to the Watts that you are consuming...

I hope that you could understand my blah blah blah...:eek::eek:

Regards
niki

Hi Frank

I'll try different way...I'll compare Electricity to Hydraulics...

The Voltage is the Hydraulic Pressure....like 500 PSI - 1,000 PSI - 3,000 PSI

The Amperes is the Hydraulic Flow like 10 GPM - 50 GPM - 100 GPM

Lets say that if you multiply the Pressure by the Flow, you'll get Work...
Pressure x Flow = Work

So you can see very easy that, if the Pressure is lower - you need more Flow to get the same level of work.

Same in Electricity - if the Voltage is low - you need more Amperes to get the same level of work...and from that you can see that by increasing the Voltage (pressure) you can decrease the Amperes (Flow).

Of course if the hydraulic pressure is low and you need high flow to get the same level of work, you must increase the tubes diameter so they will be capable to deliver this high flow.....if the tubes will have smaller diameter, you will not be able to deliver all the flow to get your pre-determined level of work...

Same in electricity, if the Voltage is low, you shall need thicker wires to deliver all the Amperes needed and, if the Voltage is high, you can use thinner wires.

Volt x Ampere = Watt (true for DC motors, heater etc, but we are not going to build the motor, do we :):)

Watt, is a unit of Work
A little bit less than 746W = 1 HP

You can get 1HP with 120V and 6.2A (120 x 6.2 = ~746) or,
You can get 1HP with 240V and 3.1A (half of the flow)

The above is only an example...You will never get 1HP from 120V and 6.2A because this is the Input power to the motor and, as you know, converting one kind of Energy (Electric) to another kind of Energy (Mechanical work) is never 100%.

The amount (in %) that a given motor can convert Electricity to Mechanical work is called "Motor Efficiency"....normal efficiency (for induction motors) is around 60~70% and to get the real HP you have to multiply the Input Watts (or HP - that is the same as Watts) by the "Motor efficiency" factor that....non of the makers will let you know the motor efficiency....

You can work with 120V or 240V but....the Electric bill will show the same $$$ because the electric company charges you according to the Watts that you are consuming...

I hope that you could understand my blah blah blah...:eek::eek:

Regards
niki

Yes, understand. Thanks.