Venturing into unknown territory

Im pretty sure once again, Ive jumped into the water head first without checking to see how deep it is.
Ive never dealt with unplaned wood, just a few small pieces which I planed with a hand power plane, and it wasnt so good.
I have to get a Delta or Dewalt planer, learn how to use it, learn how to cut a straight line for the boards, learn the correct sequence for all these and then I can figure out the rest.

I will post the tally, but by my math, I got 222.1 board feet of Mahogany, plus 11 pieces varying in sizes from 6/4 by 1.5 inch to 6/4 by 2 inchs, all around 8 feet long, so that might be close to another 12 bf.
Ash, 114.6 board feet, but I might have missed a few smaller pieces since I was tired of counting at the end of unloading.

the count, as I unloaded it:
13 pcs 1x10x96
1 pc 1x10x84
8 pcs 1x8x96
1 pc 1x11x72
2 pcs 1x6x96
2 pcs 1x12x98
1 pc 1x6x72
1 pc 1x14x120
1 pc 1x14x96
1 pc 1x9x96
1 pc 1x7x108
1 pc 10/4 x3.5x96
1 pc 8/4x5x961 pc 1x9x96
2 pcs of Spanish Cedar 1x6x180 total
11 assorted pieces 6/4 up to 2 x 96
That is Mahogany.

Ash total=
5 pcs 1x8x96
1 pc 1x10x96
6 pc 1x6x96
1 pc 1x6x108
2 pcs 1x9x96
1 pc 1x6x72
1 pc 1x7x96
3 pcs 1x4x96
3 pcs 1x8x48
1 pc 1x6x48
3 pcs 1x4x48
1 pc 1x6x36
1 pc 1x6x60
1 pc 1x8x60
1 pc 1x8x72

and Im generous with the width. If the piece was 8.75 inches wide, I considered it 8 inches.

I paid for 200 bf mahogany and 100 bf ash. I think I did ok.

And when I left, he said if I felt shorted anyway, I know where he is, I know where his boats are, so I can find him, and I should feel free to contact him anytime IM looking for some lumber, if he has it, he will sell me some.
and now Im taking the next couple days off, staying inside in bed, I dont have to work, and the doc prefers I get some bedrest, I didnt dare tell him I spent half a day loading and unloading wood, or that I was up till late last night fighting with a tablesaw.(btw, I didnt notice any nice odor from the spanish cedar, so Im guessing its not very aromatic)

Last edited:
Trick or Treat??????????

Treat for sure Allen! Super haul :thumb:. He sure treated you well as far as I can see. Now get your bed rest so you can start making dust with that haul :D

Tom

Great Haul Allen!

Hope you are feeling better, some bed rest is always good, but then again, getting that nice stack of lumber will do you some good too!:thumb:

Spanish Cedar is NOT aromatic at all, that is why it is used in cigar humidors, it does not add any flavours or aromas to the cigars, it is bug resistant, and it like to have the air around it near 70% RH, which is where cigars should be. If the air drops below 70% RH, the Spanish Cedar will release moisture, if it goes above 70% RH, then it will absorb moisture.

Nice stuff, I wish I could get some in Japan, but there is an import ban on it, as they are trying to protect their domestic market, but the domestic cedar has next to nothing in common with the Spanish Cedar, besides the name "Cedar" :doh:

Again, great haul, now get some rest! :wave:

maybe thats a reason this guy said he makes doorway entrances out of it
Something to do with the humidity and such.
He told me he will never use sapele wood again.(indoor use) He said within a year it twisted and warped.(Im guessing, but he said for sure hed never use sapele anymore)

It is one beautiful looking species, Ive never seen it or actually heard about it till he mentioned it a few days ago.

I hate to finish off the storage box I made out of red and white cedar. My garage smells fantastic whenever I open the door, alot better than the ipe did.

Last edited:
Stackedwood stuff 272 (Medium).jpg, Rackedwood stuff 273 (Medium).jpg and built.wood stuff 274 (Medium).jpg(and it works)
Got the halloween decorations put away, uprooted most of the flowers and potted plants, and now wake me up on Tuesday.

Last edited:
btw, there is an estate sale in flushing NY, listed on craigslist ny tools I believe, or material, of a woodworkers tools and wood stash, but its next saturday, and theres no way Ill be able to skip work again, but wanted to let anyone in the NY metro area know about it.
I contacted the person who posted the ad, no early previews.

Ive been stuffing 2x4s and cedar planking into the support beams up near the roof, just to make room.
Im going to clean out some of the shed in the yard this winter, make some room to hold smaller pieces of mostly of pressure treated or leftovers.
Its getting very tight.

Congrats on the haul, that ought to keep you nice and busy for a while. :thumb:

And congrats on getting the saw up and running. :clap: I noticed you have the power switch over on the right hand side. I've got mine set up to the left of the blade where I can turn it off with my thigh at the end of a cut. It's something you might consider. One nice thing about the Ridgid is the switch is easy to move to different locations on the rail, so you can find the spot that works best for you. Here's a pic of mine, three or four modifications ago.

Ridgid 3560.jpg

I know what you mean. I love mahogany too. So you and the rest here should get a kick out of this story...

Back in the late 70's, I was in the US Navy stationed in Argentia, Newfoundland, Canada. It used to be a full blown Naval Station and Naval Air Station so it had, among other things, a really nice woodworking hobby shop for the 'troops'. However, when I was there, there were a grand total of 250 active duty personnel on the base so getting in to the wood shop was easy. It was run by an older 'Newfie' carpenter who had been working on the base for decades. He really knew his stuff and took my passing interest in woodworking from high school wood shop and turned it into more of a passion (that then had to be surpressed for about 20 years after I left Argentia but that is a different story).

So that's just background to the real story. I decided I wanted to make a china cabinet and some record boxes for my wife (who was stationed in Buxton, North Carolina at the time). So this big old teddy bear of a carpenter takes me into the 'wood shed' to pick out some wood. And there sits this small pile of mahogany along with several other species. Now I knew a little about wood back then but not a lot so I ask, what's the least expensive of the wood here. He says the MAHAGONY! $0.75 a BF! Now even in 1978 that was cheap. That was NOT what I expected. Turns out, back in the lat 1940's/early 1950's some admiral decided he wanted to re-deck his flagship in mahagony. He needed 100K bf to do it. Well, some storekeeper managed to tack another zero on that and had 1,000,000 bf of Cuban mahagony delivered to Norfolk, VA. 900K of it sat on a pier in Norfolk until sometime in the late 1960's when they finally decided to split it up and ship it to various wood hobby shops at over seas bases and sold it at those hobby shops for what it cost in the early 1950's! So I made several pieces out of Mahagony. I got the last of the mahagony on the base. Also made some things out of oak stair treads (6' x 12" x 2") that we salvaged from the Officer's club that was being torn down. It had been built with wood milled from the old growth trees taken down to clear land for the base. That was some REAL nice QS white oak and it was free (not counting my labor pulling it out of the O club).

I don't ever expect to get nearly such a good deal on lumber ever again but I sure won't forget it or how it got me into this hobby in the first place.:D:thumb:

Chip
Small world..
I spent some time up there in the late 60's with VP8....
Beautiful country.

Alan
Alan
You are going to enjoy that wood.
I still remember a little knife rack I made for a young woman. Gave it to her for Christmas and she sit there stroking the smooth maple all evening just mesmerized by the wood..

Garry

Last edited:
Allen,

Thanks for sharing your adventure. As for having room, I spent last summer building a new shop which is almost twice the size of my old space. Within 6 weeks after the big move I was again paralized with clutter :D. I know going in that any project involves moving things at least 3 times.

I was "around" woodworking for 20 years as a remodeling contractor. I would do the occasional small custom job using BORG lumber or S3S from a local mill. About 5 yrs. ago I decided I needed my own stash. A guy on another forum advertised air dried hickory for $1/bd. ft. and he wasn't too far away. I set up a meet, called my buddy, and off we went. To this day I hold both guys responsible for letting me buy 500 ft. of hickory, helping me load it into a GMC Safari and driving home with my headlights in the tree tops and my back doors roped shut. :rofl: I had a planer but now I needed a jointer and a "bigger" table saw. I also needed my head examined. I built a couple small tables with the hickory, moved the rest of it twice and finally used it for lumber/equipment shelves and a mower storage shed. I have since returned to my "supplier" for more modest amounts of other species.

Now, I love woodworking. It's takes me to a place that no drugs ever could. You'd think I'd be out there in my shop right now, wouldn't you? Nope, I'm taking a break from looking for bargain planes on ebay. That's right. I'm now addicted to reworking 100 yr. old derelict hand planes, taking them from rusty hulks to a point where they once again make that swishing sound as they slice a full-width whisper of a shaving. I have a dream!

Congrats on the haul, that ought to keep you nice and busy for a while. :thumb:

And congrats on getting the saw up and running. :clap: I noticed you have the power switch over on the right hand side. I've got mine set up to the left of the blade where I can turn it off with my thigh at the end of a cut. It's something you might consider. One nice thing about the Ridgid is the switch is easy to move to different locations on the rail, so you can find the spot that works best for you. Here's a pic of mine, three or four modifications ago.

View attachment 25266

I actually only assisted my son in mounting the motor and adjusting the belt and making sure the alignments were all good.
I never even took notice where he put the switch. Seemed natural to me since it was same spot on my Ryobi. He asked me what side, I said right.
Ill look into it, but Im ok where it is for now.My problem with this saw is that although its on that great base, my floor in the area where I have to keep it, is totally lopsided. The cement cracked 10 years ago, and we dug it out and refilled it, and I filled it higher, since I was only using it for a car back then, level and flat didnt mean much in one spot.
But now it creates havoc when Im trying to roll the TS to an even spot on the floor. I cant get it over the bump easily.
Working on it, brain is a little weak these days, as is the body. Thanx for pointing this out to me, I wasnt aware the switch can be mounted like that, I will bring it up with my son, maybe Ill move it.

Last edited:
Allen,

Thanks for sharing your adventure. As for having room, I spent last summer building a new shop which is almost twice the size of my old space. Within 6 weeks after the big move I was again paralized with clutter :D. I know going in that any project involves moving things at least 3 times.

I was "around" woodworking for 20 years as a remodeling contractor. I would do the occasional small custom job using BORG lumber or S3S from a local mill. About 5 yrs. ago I decided I needed my own stash. A guy on another forum advertised air dried hickory for $1/bd. ft. and he wasn't too far away. I set up a meet, called my buddy, and off we went. To this day I hold both guys responsible for letting me buy 500 ft. of hickory, helping me load it into a GMC Safari and driving home with my headlights in the tree tops and my back doors roped shut. :rofl: I had a planer but now I needed a jointer and a "bigger" table saw. I also needed my head examined. I built a couple small tables with the hickory, moved the rest of it twice and finally used it for lumber/equipment shelves and a mower storage shed. I have since returned to my "supplier" for more modest amounts of other species.

Now, I love woodworking. It's takes me to a place that no drugs ever could. You'd think I'd be out there in my shop right now, wouldn't you? Nope, I'm taking a break from looking for bargain planes on ebay. That's right. I'm now addicted to reworking 100 yr. old derelict hand planes, taking them from rusty hulks to a point where they once again make that swishing sound as they slice a full-width whisper of a shaving. I have a dream!

I hear ya, but I had to jump in sooner or later, sooner really and get my hands on a few decent power tools.
Im not blind to the fact Im never going to make family heirlooms, but functional solidly built pieces is ok for me at this point.
I needed some wood anyway. Pressure treated lumber and ipe was getting under my skin, I needed a change.

I like to think of myself as building furniture to be used.(if it doesnt fall apart Im quite happy)