Hey Ned - got that insulation in yet?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Syracuse
snow.gif
This Afternoon
Snow showers. Accumulations around an inch possible over the higher terrain. Highs in the upper 30s. West winds 15 to 20 mph.
» ZIP Code Detail
nt_chancesnow.gif
Tonight
Snow showers likely. Additional snow accumulation around an inch. Lows around 30. West winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent.

snow.gif
Thursday
Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain and snow showers in the morning...then partly sunny in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 40s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 30 percent.
» ZIP Code Detail
nt_sunny.gif
Thursday Night
Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 30s. Light and variable winds.

You know, when I busted my leg, I thought for sure that Ned was going to beat me, but then he got that lathe going and well..... :rolleyes: :D

Wear a hat Ned! :wave:

Rennie, you beat me to it! :doh: I saw the news about the storm in the NE and thought the same thing....:D

So Ned, does the snow stick to your metal roof or just slide right off?

I hope he does

If this is a little incoherent I appologize I was running calls from 9pm until 330am and only have about 1 1/2 hours sleep and just got done running some more fire calls, mostly trees or wires down with a couple car accidents with not injuries.

It started snowing around 4pm with the really wet snow. This caused problems with the trees as a lot still have some leaves and really weighted them down. It stopped snowing around 330 am and about 9 inches of the heavy stuff.

As usual with Lake Ontario it turns into a Lake Effect Machine and it is currently dumping on us again, at least 4 plus inches so far since 530 am.

To my north by about 12 miles is Redfield, it is on the Tug Hill and known for there snowfall totals. With the wet snow along at 530am they had 19 inches and counting. This is nothing for them though. If they get less then 300 inches of snow its a light winter.:eek:

Here are some pics, for more see

http://www.woodworking.millcreekcomputerservices.com/Storm10-08/OctStorm.html

storm%2007.jpg

This road was barely passable with a pickup this am, by the time I got the pic a plow had gone thru and knocked some snow off the branches and they lifted some.

storm%2022.jpg

Tree in a friends yard

storm%2019.jpg

storm%2025.jpg

Its an early start to winter and I am not looking forward to it.

There is more snow over here in Amsterdam than I had this morning, and much less than Ralph had up north. Gotta love the Tug Hill, eh Ralph? it is just snowing 'enough' right now that I'm out collecting data and not shooting today, for the second day in a row. oh well...

On the plus side, my new supervisor is pretty cool and the job is looking up again. (been a little lean for a couple of months, so that's part of why the no insulation)

I know of what you speak. (Why do you think I live where I do?) I got tired of plowing that white stuff around. I wore out 2 trucks pushing snow.

Ned, Don't feel too bad. I never did get my old shop back home insulated good. Only had a layer of Insulboard and CDX plywood outside that. Worked for me and that was located right on the south shore of Lake Erie.

I remember being up in Copenhagen and Watertown. They get some snow up there. Like Oswego.

That was 20 years ago.

Aloha, Tony

found a little more insulation money today. Going to pull a bunch of stuff back from the walls tomorrow morning and then slap it and some plywood on the long 'front' wall towards the house. (the back wall will have to wait for another pay period or two)

I'm in mid-wall on the insulation project, I've got from the back left corner all the way out to my bandsaw 80% done, I just had a light bulb moment and need to go re-hang the full length bats from the top down, so I can do the smaller pieces without dragging out a ladder. I pulled my benches away from the wall 'just barely enough' and have been cutting and fitting the pieces around the window and doorway. I still have a couple more cavities to work on. I've still got another whole package of bats to go, but I think I'm going to hold off on those. I want to get the reflectix installed and then put up some plywood while I have things pulled away from the wall. Need to wake up my eldest son who promised he would help, but evidently was up most of the night. :doh: Must be nice to be 21 without a care in the world... NOT!:mad:

DSC03650.jpg

Progress!
My middle son helped drag the benches back from the wall, then I stuffed and cut and stuffed more pink batts into the stud bays. Eventually I got some help from the eldest son and we hung the two 4' wide 10' long strips of reflectix up. I still have to put in the soffits, and eventually throw some batts up between the joists, but that's going to wait awhile longer.
DSC03653.jpg

There's a closer view of the reflectix, which blocks '97% of all radiant heat. Sounds good to me, I'm thinking about putting up temporary blocking at the 10' level and once I get the soffits installed, simply putting in a reflectix 'roof' below the loft level. three rolls would do it and the shop would be a lot warmer in a hurry. I'd lose the cathedral effect but that's a small price to pay to get warm.

Having worked in a shop with NO insulation, having just this up on the walls is going to be nice enough. I still have a bundle of batts left, and I'll drag out the cabinet and work my way around the door wall tomorrow and/or wednesday evenings. I might even get ambitious and push some batts up behind the wood racks.
The reflectix is so easy to install, I'll pick up a couple of 15" wide rolls and work them up behind the wood eventually too.