A New Woodturning Assoc. in the works CWA

Jeff Bower

Just saw this posted on WoodNet.....Conventional Woodturner's Assoc. (CWA) looks interesting and different than AAW. As a disclaimer I'm not a member of the CWA or AAW...but I do see merit for each association.

the link....

The CWA

I've been participating on the CWA forum for months, so I'm familiar with some of the discussions that have gone on about starting the new organization.

Personally, I find their "no burning, carving, segmenting, coloring, etc." approach to be too limiting. Not my cup o' tea, but it very well may be just what some others are looking for. I realize CWA was founded as an answer to AAW, which more and more seems to be celebrating pieces that have only spent a few minutes on the lathe before being burned, carved, segmented, or colored. Still, I sometimes want to do more than JUST turn my pieces, and don't want to limit my potential because of some club's bylaws.

It's an interesting concept, but in my opinion CWA is well on its way to becoming as elitist as the AAW group they're trying to get away from. It's another clique that seems to look disparagingly at those who don't think the same as they do. That all said, if traditional unadorned woodturning is your thing, CWA may be a good match for you. It just isn't for me.

Vaughn, I agree their guidelines are limiting...seems to be the reason for starting the assoc....The weird thing about it is, I just clicked on the Forum link on the CWA website and it took me to WOW???:huh::dunno: I'd say many if not most of the pics on that site are not "conventional" at all and "unconventional" pieces are highly praised on WOW (and rightfully so IMO).

Vaughn, I agree their guidelines are limiting...seems to be the reason for starting the assoc....The weird thing about it is, I just clicked on the Forum link on the CWA website and it took me to WOW???:huh::dunno: I'd say many if not most of the pics on that site are not "conventional" at all and "unconventional" pieces are highly praised on WOW (and rightfully so IMO).
Jeff, look again. It's not WOW, it just uses the same MyFamily site, so it looks the same. And unless you have an account established on the CWA forum, I don't think you can get in.

Jeff, look again. It's not WOW, it just uses the same MyFamily site, so it looks the same. And unless you have an account established on the CWA forum, I don't think you can get in.

I see...I didn't know MyFamily was software like vBulletin. WOW was the only myfamily site I've ever seen. :doh::eek:

OK, forgive my naivete (sp?), but why would they want to make another turning association from the AAW?
For quite a while there has been discontent among a number of AAW members who felt that traditional woodturning was being ignored by AAW, and that the avant-garde pieces were getting too much attention. CWA is their attempt at promoting the traditional side of turning.

Problem is (as I see it), is the terms "conventional" or "traditional" leave a lot of room for interpretation -- sorta like "family friendly" -- and I'm not sure I agree with their current interpretation. For example, segmented turning is not allowed, yet segmented turning has been going on since at least the beginning of the last century. Things like carving and coloring of turned pieces have also been done for centuries. Not sure why they're not considered "traditional".

I see...I didn't know MyFamily was software like vBulletin. WOW was the only myfamily site I've ever seen. :doh::eek:
MyFamily isn't really software per se, it's more like a big site that hosts lots of small forums. It was never intended for things like a woodturning forum. Like the name implies, it is intended as a place where a family can set up a site, accessible to family members only, to share things like photos, recipes, news, and other family-related info.

I've been participating on the CWA forum for months, so I'm familiar with some of the discussions that have gone on about starting the new organization.

Personally, I find their "no burning, carving, segmenting, coloring, etc." approach to be too limiting. Not my cup o' tea, but it very well may be just what some others are looking for. I realize CWA was founded as an answer to AAW, which more and more seems to be celebrating pieces that have only spent a few minutes on the lathe before being burned, carved, segmented, or colored. Still, I sometimes want to do more than JUST turn my pieces, and don't want to limit my potential because of some club's bylaws.

It's an interesting concept, but in my opinion CWA is well on its way to becoming as elitist as the AAW group they're trying to get away from. It's another clique that seems to look disparagingly at those who don't think the same as they do. That all said, if traditional unadorned woodturning is your thing, CWA may be a good match for you. It just isn't for me.

There was also a thread going on that if they thought you where a trouble maker they wouldn't let you join. I suggested that they at least give a person a chance, but it went unanswered. To high flutin' for me.

There was also a thread going on that if they thought you where a trouble maker they wouldn't let you join. I suggested that they at least give a person a chance, but it went unanswered. To high flutin' for me.
I know there have been a few guys kicked out for raising questions about the bylaws, even though the questions were polite and well-reasoned. I do understand the issues involved with running a forum (and I know you do too, Ron), but I didn't agree with how they decided to run theirs. ;)

I know there have been a few guys kicked out for raising questions about the bylaws, even though the questions were polite and well-reasoned. I do understand the issues involved with running a forum (and I know you do too, Ron), but I didn't agree with how they decided to run theirs. ;)

I don't agree with the way they are handling it either, but I guess the bottom line is, how they decide to run theirs.

I'm not impressed so far with CWA

Just wanted to jump in here and second everything that Vaughn stated. I agree 100% Vaughn! Saw a lot of good folks get thrown out only because they wanted to know why a certain method or style was not to be included in the new org. The bulk of my on-line buddies got the boot - so I quit going to the site. I wish them luck as I am sure this is a major undertaking. At the same time - I hope they open their eyes to the needs of the people instead of the elite few.

Last edited:
With the restrictive bylaws that CWA wants to operate within it seems like it is just too limited to promote the art aspect of woodturning. As I understand it, it was spawned from some thoughts that much of the work that has been highlighted and promoted by AAW goes so far beyond turning that it ends up outside the realm of woodturning. But the AAW also makes a tremendous effort to encourage new turners and conventional woodturning. Joining the CWA would be, to me, like buying a Corvette with a 4 cylinder engine. Most of the time it would get you where you were going, but when you really wanted to drive it, it just wouldn't be much fun. I know I'm going to stick with the AAW. Besides, the CWA booted me for expressing my thoughts so it really isn't even an option for me.

I had seriously considered joining AAW but the more I looked into it the more I found they cater to the "higher end" turner/artist. At least the focus pointed that direction. I prefer practicality and the ability to use one's turnings far more than art. I find in the magazine many of the turnings go far beyond even simple art and into abstract. And speaking of the magazine, since I can buy it off the news stand, well, the subscription in the fee is a moot point since I don't usually but it. For me, I do not see how being an AAW member is beneficial.

And after looking at CWA, I to find them too constrictive. Seems like they've cut their own nose off to spite their face.

All in all, I find boards such as this one to be just as valuable, and more so in many ways, than any organization!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I joined AAW before really getting started as a turner. To me the Journal has never been intimidating, only inspirational. When a lot of the negative posts about the Journal started showing up on other forums I went back and looked at three years of issues and found there was a nice blend of beginning articles to advanced information. I have never understood the objections of a beginner being exposed to information that may be more advanced than their immediate skill level.

I think part of the problem is that many people today think they should be spoon fed rather than self fed. The Journal has to have something for everybody. There is so much written information for the beginning turner that to find how to do simple projects is really not a challenge. As was stated, the AAW has committed significant resources to the beginning turner and getting the young people interested. IMHO it is a very worthy organization and the Journal is a bargain.

There are extremists everywhere and they would like nothing more than to sway you to their "side"; the only problem is that it often results in a lack of tolerance for the different. If we all made the same thing, said the same thing, thought the same way wouldn't it really be boring?

Interesting thread

I have to agree with Barbara, who put it so clearly. This issue is far from new. I have read AAW journals from the beginning of the organization and this "contemporary vs conventional", "beginner vs advanced" issue has been around since the beginning of AAW. If you don't like what AAW is doing you have some choices-stop being a member or contribute in a constructive manner. I looked at the CWA website quickly and did not read the bylaws and it's probably good I didn't. I have a hard time with restrictive and intolerant behavior. If they want to form their own group, that's fine with me. Just don't expect me to join, even though I don't do much "artistic" turning. They can pick and choose who joins their group as long as I can pick and choose where I join or not.

There are so many bigger issues in the world that this should barely be a blip on the radar, IMHO. Woodturning is supposed to be fun and turners in general are some of the most giving, sharing and generous people I have ever met.