A couple turnings

Shane Starnes

The spalted bowl is some wood I found not long ago. I have no idea what it is.

The bowl with the base is flamed box elder that I bought a couple years ago and forgot about it.

The log/vase was just me having a little fun. Thought it would look cool. The log had some deep cracks that I was not able to turn out of it. I hollowed it for the practice, shot a little lacquer on it and took the picture. I may go back later and sand and finish it. Going to let it dry a while first.

spalted myst 2.JPG

flame.JPG

log.JPG

Nice work, Shane. I like all three of them, but the footed bowl and log/vase really catch my attention. Good stuff...thanks for posting the pics.

That Log Vase sure is an interesting concept.

Those colors came out just from the wood itself? Nice...

I like that Spalted bowl. For some reason, I still think of this art has having a 'utilitarian' function, so I could see that shape being a nice one for popcorn, watching a dvd on the couch... :thumb:

Last edited:
Thanks Vaughn.

Brent,
Thanks for the comments. As far as the spalted bowl, well like most of the stuff I turn the shape just presented itself. There was a bunch of punky wood I was attempting to get rid of and this is how it "turned" out.

The cedar didn’t have much heart wood. I wanted the whole vase portion to be red but it would have gotten way to small if I had kept going.

:
Nice bowls! The first one looks like some pecan I turned recently; it's very prone to spalting.

Now that you say it, I have to agree it is in fact Pecan. I have a ton of pecan (all of it now spalted) I got this blank confused with another that I roughed out around the same time. The found blank is still on the shelf, roughed out and waiting to be finished. :D

Very nice work, Shane.

I have to say that the log vase is my favorite just because it is so unusual and because I like rustic. that's a neat concept, too.