First Bowl

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
It aint much, but I got inspired to try a little something other than pens...

I've got a fair amount of tearout on the sides of it, but what the heck.

attachment.php

Watched some videos on sharpening a bowl gouge and general bowl turning and thought I'd just give it a try.

I didn't put any real finish on it, just some of my mineral oil and wax. I figure I might just use it around the kitchen for prep work. It actually fits well in the cutouts I put on my cutting boards, so I might just see how I like it versus Stainless Steel.

I can see why this would be addictive. Very fun... Now I just need to work on my sharpening skills...

Oh, and I figure I need to get some more tools, like sanding tools, a vacuum chuck, a sharpening jib....

Next Stop, hollow forms....
(And probably even more tools)

Now I know why all you guys that turn go to craft shows. Seems like :

a) You need to be able to recoup some of your investment in Tools
b) You need to get 'rid' of all the product you create! :rofl:

firstbowl.jpg

That came out very nicely for a first bowl. The form looks nice, and you'll learn to deal with the tearout as you do more of them.

I tell people at the shows that the main reason I'm selling my work is because we ran out of horizontal spaces at the house. (It has indeed been helpful to the tool fund, though.)

For your first it looks great. Make sure you sign it and keep it so 2 or 3 yrs. down the road you can compare. Get Bill Grumbines DVD Turned Bowls Made Easy. He teaches you how to deal with tearout.

Already used it for holding peppers and grape tomatoes tonight for dinner.

I'll put a note on the bottom for the date.

Why is it that I feel the world spinning around me right now?

I feel like my little Jet Mini lathe may not have enough swing anymore.... :D

Feeling woozy..... :D

Brent,

Great job. :thumb: Nice looking bowl. Wow, it is a slippery slope, isn't it. You've just got enough time to get one of the Nova lathes at a substantial discount from Woodcraft! :rofl: :rofl:

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Very well done Bret, a lot better than my first bowl :thumb:

The tear-out will be dealt with, you just got to learn how.

I agree with Bernie, get Bill Grumbine's video, sure helped me a lot, and in fact, I still go back to it from time to time.

Cheers!:wave:

Already used it for holding peppers and grape tomatoes tonight for dinner.

I'll put a note on the bottom for the date.

Why is it that I feel the world spinning around me right now?

I feel like my little Jet Mini lathe may not have enough swing anymore.... :D

Feeling woozy..... :D

LOL!!! Great looking bowl but watch out! I too started out turning pens about 3 years ago and after finally turning a few bowls a couple of months back, I'm hooked. Looking for a larger lathe now as all I have is a little Wilton mini which is smaller than your Jet!!!