Nice mid-day distraction

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I recently bought a new camera (Canon 40D) and have been learning to use it. Today over the lunch hour I ventured out to the Liberty Memorial here in Kansas City. Of the almost 40 years I've lived here, I've never visited it until today. A few years back it was renovated and Congress declared it the National WWI Musuem/Memorial. I didn't have time to go through the museum, but here are some pics of the memorial and the surrounding area.

http://picasaweb.google.com/libertystainedglass/LibertyMemorial#

Thanks Frank. Though I took the pics, the beauty is really in the site. It will be interesting to find out the symbolizim behind some of the architecture on my next visit. The tower is flanked by two gallerys and two lions with wings that the wings are folded over their heads. The tower itself has 4 figures on top. One of Lady Liberty, one of a Roman like figure, the third an Angel, and the 4th I didn't get a picture of. The front entrance to the museum replicates a bunker with very solid large doors that give the feeling of security when opening. Though I didn't get any pictures of the interior, it is a sight to see. A glass walkway above a replica of what looks like what may have been France in spring dominates the entry. It truely is a site to see.

Thanks for the pics, Darren. My Dad got to do the "Walking Tour" of Belgium and France in that War, but I didn't know there was a Memorial for it. Nice Pics too.

...Though I took the pics, the beauty is really in the site...
And you have captured that beautifully. A visit must leave a lasting impression.

The design of the building is typical of the federal-type buildings of the era and is designed in the classical Egyptian Revival style of architecture with a limestone exterior. The foundation was constructed using sawed granite, and the exterior ground level walls are made of Bedford stone. The main doors at the top of a large set of stairs are made from ornamental bronze, and the walls of the first floor lobby are finished in Kasota stone, which was quarried in Kasota, Minnesota. The first floor corridor and the grand stairway are finished in travertine that was imported from Italy. The floors of the corridors and tread of stairway are made from terrazzo and Kasota marble, and the balusters and railing are made from Italian travertine and Italian tavernelle clairemarble.

Liberty Memorial vividly exemplifies the fulfillment of city planning concepts, combining monumentally-scaled Beaux Arts Classicism envisioned by some of the nations most notable and diverse delineators of the City Beautiful movement working in the early twentieth century. Liberty Memorial's complex of limestone buildings together with the towering shaft, vast sculpture, bas-reliefs, decorative bronze art, and dramatic open vistas, all contribute to its power and distinction. Today it stands as one of the most important landmarks in Kansas City and one of the most commanding memorial sites in the nation. Moreover, Liberty Memorial remains one of the nation's most compelling monuments to those who sacrificed their lives during World War I and a remembrance of those who survived. Its dramatic combination of elements envisioned by architects, landscape architects, artists, and city leaders, is not only a momentous tribute to those veterans but also an important expression of American memorial architecture of the early twentieth century. Additionally, the Liberty Memorial houses the only public World War I museum in the United States.

More here.

Last edited:
Darren, I've been there a few times, once when it was almost a ruin before the renovation and once just after the renovation was complete. Both times I was there for wedding pictures for a friend. Same friend both times....the second time around he used the renovation to the memorial as a metaphor for his rejuvenated life with his new wife. (they are still very happily married too)

Beautiful pics and I encourage everyone to see the memorial in person. Great views and an important place too.