Some of what I do

Lee Chadwick

Just joined the forum, nice place. A little introduction if you havent read my post on the welcome page. I make custom duck, goose and turkey calls, most of which are produced on the lathe. The calls I dont make on the lathe are hewn from a solid block of wood and checkered by hand. Here is a small selection of what I have made. Also, I really enjoy using hard to find woods and woods that others may not have used

The first are a few duck calls and one goose call. Some of the duck calls will have bands that I turn out of elk antler, others will have brass bands that I make out of 1 1/4 brass tubing, others will have bands made of wood

Attachments

• maple burl eir (443 x 600).jpg
    maple burl eir (443 x 600).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 79
  • maple burl pink ivory goose (488 x 600).jpg
    maple burl pink ivory goose (488 x 600).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 47
  • plum blkwd (506 x 600).jpg
    plum blkwd (506 x 600).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 49
  • honey locust (486 x 600).jpg
    honey locust (486 x 600).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 65
turkey calls

These are friction style calls ( for those who arent calls savvy, just means you rub a striker over the surface to produce the sound of a hen turkey)
These calls are either one or two sided. One of the calls will be shown without any surfaces, this call is really unique. The wood is red malle burl from Australia. This wood is full of little inclusions that, no matter how much you sand, you will only uncover more inlcusions. So what I did was, sand to 500 grit, then fill each inclusion with silver. The photo doesnt do the call justice

Attachments

• bocote back.jpg
    bocote back.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 43
  • bubinga back.jpg
    bubinga back.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 44
  • red mallee side (600 x 466).jpg
    red mallee side (600 x 466).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 47
  • splt mpl slate glass.jpg
    splt mpl slate glass.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 47
Wow really nice work there Lee. I guess for guys that hunt calls are like lures to guys that fish. You can never have enough of them. Only problem I see here is these are way too good looking to take into the field not that I am a hunter.:thumb:

Lee,

Those calls are really beautiful.

Just wondering, where do you get your reeds for them? Are they doubles or singles?

My calling abilities are not very well developed. I've been known to make dogs cry and my wife laugh with my calling talents....

Still, I have a feeling this is one of those projects I'd like to give a shot. (Pun, probably intended).

Great work, Lee. :clap: I've only made a few calls (all predator calls...gifts for my nephews) and they sure weren't as nice as yours.

Welcome aboard, too. :wave:

Thank you everyone. I take great pride in what I make, and believe me, if it wont hunt, I WONT sell it. Unfortunately, most of my calls are purchased and then placed on someone's mantle:( That call will look just as good covered in mud and blood as it would covered in dust on a mantle, but who am I to argue the point.

Brent,
All of my duck calls are single reed Arkansas style calls and I make the reeds myself out of .010 mylar. You can get the mylar at Hobby Lobby or eBay or from THO Gamecalls

Vaughn,
I make a wood duck call that I also use to imitate the sound of a red tailed hawk ( great locator call for spring turkeys), I can also imitate a squirrell or a wounded rabbit for predator hunting

Attachments

• blkgum woodduck (520 x 600).jpg
    blkgum woodduck (520 x 600).jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 19
Jim,
I am making two jewelry boxes right now, one for my mother and the other for my SIL. Wont make one for my wife because I know who has to fill it up:rofl: I love my mom, so I dont mind making my dad buy her nice stuff. My brother on the other hand, his college football team beat mine and he wont let me live it down. So now I can exact my revenge and make him fill up the other for his wife:D I dont get mad, I get even:wave:

Would like to see it Bernie

Frank,
I know what you mean about the travel. I have no choice, there are zero ducks in GA, so I have to travel. Of course, its all a tax write off as it is R&D and advertising:D