can't get videos

Frank Fusco

There seems to be a lot of good computer talent here to tap for help now and then. So...Help!
Since I started using Vista a whole plethora of problems have popped up I never hard previously. Got another one. Need a solution.
Please, don't suggest Firefox, Linux or laxatives. ;)
Sometimes, not always, but more frequently lately, I have not been able to open videos. The interactive map on the Weather Channel site won't work past few days; a tool video someone posted here won't work, etc. I do get a blank screen but zip after that.
It is probably some innocous little security setting but, for me, finding it has proven an exercise in frustration. BTW, this happens whether my pop-up blockers are turned on or off. I use AVG for virus protection and S&D for bots.
I have a fairly powerful computer and running 3 gigs of memory.
What say the jury? Thanks.

Frank,

The interactive map on the weather channel is a flash movie. It's possible that you don't have the flash plug-in installed (try going here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ ). Or it could be that something is blocking it. Try the first option and we can go from there.

I installed it, wx channel map works now. I've had to go through this before. Will have to remember this if it happens again, as I suspect it will. Thanks.

Back to square one. Seems after a few days and/or a few reboots, the flashplayer is gone. Since getting Vista, I have had several of these mystery vanishings.
Frank,

Do yo have Vista set to go out and look for updates? I recently received a flash update for my vista machine - maybe three days ago.

Still happening. I couldn't get that Canadian dungeon video to do anything. Frustrating. Hate having to download that player every day.
I could call Dell tech support. But that would mean starting at 6 a.m. and repeating, many times, the problem to someone with a thick accent and limited understanding of English what the problem is and, maybe, finding a solution by 10 a.m.

Frank,

I saw a post about running a file that is in a subfolder of the Macromed folder.

C:\windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil9b.exe

or

C:\windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil9f.exe

I found I have a different file name and another PC has a different name variation. See if you have the folder below and run the FlashUtil9*.exe file (* = a-z)