Pete Simmons at a Craft Show

Dawn Kight

My family and I were invited by Pete Simmons to come visit him and his booth bunny at a craft show. The first picture is Pete and my hubby Brian, the second is half of his table, the third is the half and his booth bunny, the fourth is my oldest daughter, and the fifth is me with our haul (please don't mind the death warmed over look I have very bad sinus cold).
Thank you Pete and Karen, we had fun Chit Chatting with you. Hope to see you all again very soon.

Attachments

• s6301476a.jpg
    s6301476a.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 63
  • s6301477a.jpg
    s6301477a.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 77
  • s6301478a.jpg
    s6301478a.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 86
  • s6301479a.jpg
    s6301479a.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 80
  • s6301480a.jpg
    s6301480a.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 88
Visit

It was great having a visit by the Kight family. I had made up an ornament with their name on it and almost forgot it. Glad we were able to meet.

This was a well attended craft show at a large church. A few vendors did well, most sold very little. Me I have a lot of high end pens $100 ++ and I still have all of them. We sold a few small items and one pen so I made just a little over breaking even. We did meet a lot of people and I think we made contact with some people who will be placing orders for Christmas.

The 2 busiest tables at the show were church sponsored used jewerly tables where average prices were less than $1. This is from a place where the parking lot is full of Lexus, BMW's, big SUV's and such.

For all you bowl turners out there - One vendor had a bunch of very nice wood turned bowls. For a really nice, maybe 9 or 10 inch dia bowl he was only asking $49 or so. He had a few larger beautiful bowls in the $150 - $200 range. Not sure how he did but I told him he was way under priced.

Here is a quick pic of some of my pens.

Brian & Dawn - Thanks for the visit is was great to be able to meet with someone from FWW.

Attachments

• showpens.jpg
    showpens.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 39
You have a lot of nice work there, Pete. Sorry to see traffic was light at the show, though. Good to see you all were able to meet. :thumb:

Dawn and Brian...it sounds like Pete as nice in person as he is in computer-land. :D Thanks for the pics. (BTW, looks like your daughter might ought to lighten up a bit on the makeup.) :rofl:

Thanks Vaughn we've talked to her about the make-up thing but she just won't listen. This is what she looked like after a heavy night of partying at a Fall Festival. :rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• s6301462a.jpg
    s6301462a.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 29
Ha!!! My kids came home last night looking a lot like that, although a lot older. Great looking work Pete. Those in the parking lot with beemers and Lex'i had no money left over. I think our craft is the first to suffer in hard times. Let's all be thankful in whatever way you deem necessary that we can still have fun at what we do! :bonkers:

Pete great you could meet with Brian and Dawn. Lots of very nice looking stuff. I went to a craft show a couple of weeks ago and sold 1 small bowl and two pens. I just think with the economy and the debacle in general people are just not parting with their money. I have noticed in town here we have a lot of BMW's, SUV's, etc with for sale signs sitting driveways for sale. My buddy has a suburban as his good car. He and his wife went to visit their daughter, hubby and grandkids. I am not sure how far but thought he said 967 miles. Cost him over $300 just in gas.

It is always good ro meet up with other turners!!

Pete, if I may ask, where did you get the icthus pen box?

where did you get the icthus pen box?

Greg:

I buy the plain box from various pen sources depending on how many at a time I am buying. Penn State has them for about $4. I then do all the engraving and inlay work myself. The most used tool in my shop is an Epilog Laser. Kinda like a computer controlled scroll saw with a 0.003 dia blade.

I call it the fish pen but a Jr Statesman pen made of Blackwood with a Bethlehem Olive Wood fish symbol inlayed looks great in that box. If the person wants it I even include a small band of Olive Wood on the end and I engrave their name around the dia of the pen.

Ken Nelson at Kallenshaan Woods is the originator and sells kits to make all these fancy pens. I have worked with Ken for years and since I added my custom rotary tool to my laser I now make most of the fancy pen inlays myself.