PIP - Workbench

Rich Aldrich

The first step for the workbench was to start making the top. It is going to be 36 x 76 plus the extra width on one end for the shoulder vise. The bench is made from hard maple cut from my property. A friend has a portable sawmill and sawed the lumber for me.

The first picture is the glued up strips - 6 to 7 1/2 wide. I have two more to go. I plan to rip these on the table saw to square the edges because of the bulk making it difficult to use the jointer.

The second picture shows the front vise I bought from Woodcraft - large economy model.

The third picture shows some of the strips being glued up.

Glenn, Thanks for the help with the pictures.

Attachments

• Sections of Bench Top (600 x 489).jpg
    Sections of Bench Top (600 x 489).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 92
  • Bench Vise.jpg
    Bench Vise.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Gluing Up Sections.jpg
    Gluing Up Sections.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
:lurk:

This should be a fun project to follow.

Dang Rich, compared to some of us, you've got enough room in your shop to have a square dance. :D

Why go to all that trouble when your pictures show that you have a couple of excellant Folding Workbenches? My grandpa used to say, "why spend the money and effort when you already have something that will do as well".

Bill,

I prefer a more sound workbench and a good flat surface to work. I have had work fall of the two workmates. I also plan to put the bench on casters and put in against the wall. I have a poor work bench along the wall that I plan to remove.

The wood was free - I cut it off my property and a buddy cut the logs in trade for the equal amount. I put a little over $100 in the bench so far for vises and glue.

The workbench will be the same height as my tablesaw, so I can use it as an outfeed table if I choose.

Rich