wood haul

Chuck Beland

Well I went to the house of a girl I work with & picked this up I had it all inside of my Toyota Corolla I was dragging a bit it's about 400 lbs worth.

Click pic for full size.

This is some Honey Locust.

He thinks this is Oak.

Also he said this is Hemlock.

R U sure on the locust? and the oak? looks like from what i can see in the pics that the second one is maple and the locust i have is not like yours but i can not see the bark on the locust, if its locust its hard as nails chuck and the maple should be very easy to peel a slice of thios blocks.. hemlock is real soft as well...

Larry,
I'm sure I traded a piece with Vaughn & this is what he made of it.

HL.jpg

Others said it's Honey Locust. Vaughn did a fantastic job on this wood.

Chuck,
Your locust doesn't look like what I have either... the bark on mine is kinda smooth with 4 inch thorns growning out of the bark and trunk... the wood is fairly white and hard.

My oak has a slight smell that I can identify as oak... sort of a wet musty smell.

We have hemlocks here in TN, but I don't have any, so can't comment on that.

I have several pieces of honey locust in my "stash", both boards and turning stock, and most of it looks like the picture of the hollow form above with a smaller portion of it being a bit paler.

i agree that the hollow form is locust so from what i could see in your pic was why i was askin.. but the locust i have is yellow and hard as nails and the trees are thorny for sure.. makes fine fence posts. good for near thirty years.

Sorry for hijacking, but that is a very nice bowl Vaughn. How did you manage to get your tool in there to hollow it out at such an angle? Is there anything special you had to do?

Also, I assume that the inside is not sanded?