Segmented Turning Question

Dan Mosley

One of the kids is interested in segmented wood turning so i looked online the other day and saw many articles which show computer software for figuring the angles and cuts etc-, high end cross cut sleds for table saws, and some very complex articles on the vennering etc- on and on
I have a couple questions for anybody doing this type of turning out there before i jump and buy some additional tools that would be needed.

1). What or where is a good cross cut type sled (or whatever they use on the table saws to get the perfect type cuts for the joints) for making the segments ?
2). Possibly a good instructional DVD is a starting point - thoughts?
3). Is this something that can be done without all the complexity ive been reading about ? ie...complex software to create the patterns and cuts etc--

In the simpliest form what i saw was cutting and rubberbanding the glued pc's together to form the rings, then gluing the rings.
The issue i have before i do this for them is this - I was at a art show awhile back and saw a guy that wanted $700 and up for his segmented turnings.....While a very nice finish was put on them the one thing that stood out with very close inspection was you could see the joints (or-gaps in the wood joints). Leading me to believe that one of the big things is to make sure you have a good blade on your tablesaw and a very accurate way to duplicate the angle cuts on the sled......would this be correct ?
Thoughts ??

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Segmented Turning Video Training

I've come to believe that segmented turning, at a basic level, is not that difficult to get involved with. I know an award winning segmented turner by the name of Don Leman. He shows you step by step, in this series of free on-demand videos how to complete a project. I'll bet that these will get you off and running:

How to Cut Segmented Pieces

How to Glue up The Stack in a Segmented Turning Assembly

How To Calculate the Angles of Segmented Turning Pieces

A Cheap Clamping Method

Thoughts on Turning Segmented Glue-ups

Let me know if you need some additional information. — Keith:wave:

Yes, it can be done without the use of any software. I have taken a few woodturning classes at a local community college and my instructor (J. Driskell) has shown us how to do this using a pencil, measurement rule, compass and a graph paper. I will try to provide more info on this method later.

Even though you can use a combination blade to cut the segments, a cross-cutting blade is recommended. Any half-decent segmented turning project should not show gaps between the joints.

Whoa! Thanks for the links!

So, here it is: I'd like to make something like this:

Bowl0652a.jpg

My lathe, I think, will do it. I've got a decent mitre sled. And he gives simple directions even an english major can understand: http://www.turnedwood.com/GraphBowlDesign.html

What I don't have is one of them new-fangled fancy-smancy hollowing rigs! Is there a solution? Is there a way to do it by halves, and then glue the halves together?

Thanks,

Bill

Is there a way to do it by halves, and then glue the halves together?
Bill

It's not as hard as you think. Just make sure the insides of the halves are close to the same size. You can always clean up the outside after they are glued together.

You can use tape on the inside to help catch the glue drips. Just stick one side so you create a dam.

Don, I've seen a few turned items for sale that were overpriced for their level of workmanship. It sounds like you found a good example of that. Some folks see examples on the Internet of guys like John Jordan selling a simple bowl for hundreds of dollars (or a hollow form for tens of thousands) and figure they should be able to charge accordingly. (I'm probably as guilty of that as the next guy, but I did learn pretty quickly that you have to price at what the market will bear.)

Keith, great site. I can tell I'll be losing a few hours there in the future.

Dan, I've got into segmented bowls latley, havent used any software and did OK. For clamping segments, several rubber bands work good for small rings, and I use strap clamps for the larger rings. One thing that I feel is a must, is a drum sander or wide belt sander to sand the rings flat before stacking and gluing. Don't know how you would do this otherwise. I dont use any sleds, just a miter saw. Barry

One more thing I forgot to mention is a program called "bowltruner pro" (I think:eek:) Google them online. You can download a 30 day trial of the software for free. My friend swears by it.

Awww crud...here we go again, more sites to bookmark :rofl:. Welcome to the family Keith, great post. I watched a few those and they have great info IMHO. :wave: