Just Some Small Bowls

Stuart Ablett

Last Sunday, I took a break from the Aparto, and and did some turning, it had been a while :eek:

two_sm_bowls1.jpg two_sm_bowls2.jpg
These two small bowls, on the left is Mukunoki 1 1/2" by 1" tall and on the right is Keyaki 3" x 1 1/2" tall, both finished with the Formby's Tung Oil finish, just wiped on.

medium_bowl1.jpg medium_bowl2.jpg
This one is a little bigger, maybe 4" x 2" tall, also Mukunoki wood.

small_ne_bowl1.jpg small_ne_bowl2.jpg small_ne_bowl3.jpg
Here is a little natural edge bowl, this one is from the batch that I did a while back, I have dozens of these to finish turning :rolleyes:

Not much, but it was nice to be turning again, even if just for a few hours on a Sunday.

Cheers! :wave:

Looks good Stu, by the way have to got to play with that one tool anymore? The one where you can cut 3 or 4 bowls out of the same piece?

Hey, any time turning is better that time spent doing a lot of other things. ;) Nice job on the bowls. I especially like the figure of the mukunoki in the middle pics.

Looks like time well spent! :thumb:

The NE is is really nice. Do you let NE bowls dry just like any other bowl? DNA soak? I always turn NE from start to finish in one shot. Sometimes if the wood is really wet I will get it as smooth as I can with the tools and let it dry a few weeks before sanding and finishing it but I always complete the lathe work in one shot. I have never had one crack. They do elongate quite a bit but I kinda like that look. Just curious.

I don't really know why I do it this way:dunno: I guess I feel like the DNA soak would somehow make the bark come off?

Shane it really depends, some woods, I think you could be correct, that the bark would come off, but on this wood it did not, I did DNA it, and it worked out well.

Cheers!

Actually I did find I'd forgotten some stuff, like sharpening, I'd been using the Ci1 tool so much, that I forgot how often you have to sharpen your bowl gouges to get a nice clean cut :doh:

Figured it out............ eventually :eek: