Microsoft Cashback with Live.com (25%)

scott spencer

I know there's been some chatter here about the MS Cashback but not alot. For any of you who haven't tried it or aren't sure it's a legit deal...it is, and there are relatively few strings attached.

MS is using a promotion called Microsoft Cashback that's valid with hundreds of online retailers....Ebay being one the most lucrative. Rather than using conventional TV and radio ads they've actually been rewarding people for using their search engine, Live.com. Here's how it works:

You need to originate a search though Live.com that results in an Ebay hit that shows the "Live Search Cashback" symbol
attachment.php
. The search words "Wii", "coins", "chisels", "hand planes", "laptop", "coffee", or "saw blades" have worked for me as recently. It doesn't matter what you search for at Live.com initially, as long as it results in a hit that has the symbol that links you to Ebay.

Then enter Ebay thru the link from your Live.com search. You should see the "Microsoft" Cashback banner at the top of the page.
attachment.php
(currently 25%) . Once you've got that banner, the session and the stated discount is valid for one hour....after an hour you can repeat the process to refresh it. Now you can search Ebay for any item you want, but it must be listed as a "Buy It Now" item, and they must accept PayPal as payment, and you must pay using ayPal. You'll see the Cashback banner at every step of the checkout process right up to confirming the purchase, so you'll know what your saving. Note that the discount is subject to change without notice. 30% is as high as I've seen it. You're allowed up to 12 cashback transactions per Ebay account...each transaction has a cap of $200, up to an annual max of $2500.

Once you make the Buy It Now purchase, in a day or two you'll receive an email from the MS Cashback folks stating that you've earned Cashback. It'll provide a link to set up a "Live ID" account with Microsoft. Your cashback will be available after 60 days (to allow for returns), at which time you'll get another email with a link where you can request your payment. It typically goes straight to your PayPal account but I've read where others requested a check.

We've used it for a cabinet saw, clarinet, college laptop, college books, college speakers, new PC, LCD TV, gift cards, silver bullion, and sneakers to name a few items. I bought a $500 Lowes gift card for $469 (minus 30%), then scored a 20% coupon and turned that into a French patio door at 46% retail. There are nearly limitless possibilities to buy (and sell). For the record, there's zero incentive for me to share this....it's just info I thought might be helpful to someone. HTH!

Last edited:
Thanks, Scott. I'll chime in and also say it's legit, and IMHO worth the extra hoops you have to go through to collect the refund.

I second what Vaughn said. I have gotten 3 years of FWW for $27 - and that was over 2 months ago and I got my money from MSN. I also ordered a G0513x2 bandsaw a couple weeks ago and I pick it up tomorrow (stealth guhhhhhloaatt) and will get my $200 cashback in december :)

Last edited:
Does it work all over the world?

It is funny, because this morning I got an email saying that Microsoft wants to enhance the use of their search engine and e-mail, for wathever the reason together or against AOL. I do not remember exactly, but the bottom line was that if you re-sent that mail to at least 10 people you would get 241$ from microsoft!

Needless to say I didn't do it...

It is funny, because this morning I got an email saying that Microsoft wants to enhance the use of their search engine and e-mail, for wathever the reason together or against AOL. I do not remember exactly, but the bottom line was that if you re-sent that mail to at least 10 people you would get 241$ from microsoft!

Needless to say I didn't do it...
Toni, I'm sure you already know it, but that e-mail is a hoax. ;)

I think the Cashback works for anyone who has a PayPal account. (Don't quote me on that though, since I'm not sure.)

Is the rebate sent to you on one of those stupid debit/credit cards?

I have two here from work related purchases. I can't cash them (if you know how to cash them PLEASE let me know). I am not a spender so I stuck with the cards that will take me months to use. My business could really use the cash. {end of rant}

I have two here from work related purchases. I can't cash them (if you know how to cash them PLEASE let me know). I am not a spender so I stuck with the cards that will take me months to use. My business could really use the cash. {end of rant}
Nope, the rebate is deposited into your PayPal account. (You must have one to participate.)

I know what you mean about the debit cards given as rebates. Total pain in the backside. I had one from Cingular, and despite what I was told, the only place I was able to successfully use it was at the Cingular store. I ended up just applying it to my cell phone bill. I have one now from AT&T that has worked at a couple stores, but I've been told by a clerk that it cannot be used in combination with another form of payment. In other words, I can only buy something that's the exact price of the amount I have left no the card (about $25 or so), or or less. Inevitably, there will be a little money left over on the card that I won't be able to use unless I find something for that exact amount. :rolleyes:

You have options, there. It can be put on your paypal account, into a bank account or they can mail you a check.

I have received $58 from them so far, and $205 more coming :)

Maybe ... i know it only works on ebay.com - not .co.uk or other domains. I know that it requires a paypal account but i'm not sure if paypal only has a .com or if it also has .co.uk and others.

It should work fine if you can order off ebay.com and have it shipped to you - though since most of these auctions are on this half of the spinning rock, it might be expensive.

Well the new chuck got here last Friday and finally got a chance to open the box to see what it looks like:eek: What a good looking piece of metal:thumb: the fit and finish is great and just feels like quality:thumb: Next will be finding time to set things up and then find someone locally to show me how to use a lathe without doing damage to me or the lathe:D

Yeah - i watched it go from 30% down to 8% in about a 24 hour period ... sorry more folks didn't get in on it. I'm glad I got in when I did.

So far, I'm at $377 in cash back - and I still use google for my normal searching :eek: