medical question?

larry merlau

ok for some you folk, you have been threw this and have your opinions... heres the question..in order to definatly identify a lump in a breast as cancer, doesnt it need to be biopsied? if that is the case then why go threw the cost of a mammogram then an ultra sound to just say yup theres something there but we dont know if it is or not.. sounds like its just a way to get more dollars for the specilist.. fill me in on the right thoughts, gonna need some info to be able to talk intellegntly with the possible victum, thanks:):thumb:

I dont know the answer, but Id guess it has something to do with narrowing down the point of concern as close as possible. Made easier with all these imaging processes.
And another guess, would be that perhaps imaging would show there might not be a reason to biopsy.

Larry, I think the short answer to your question is to have this person speak with their doctor. While what you are trying to do is to be helpful and supportive, you really don't want to get in the way of sound medical advice. Questions like this are a normal part of understanding our health and are best addressed by the medical community.

That being said, professional Web sites can provide background information, but they are not intended to be a substitute for patient-doctor communications.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/detection/screening-mammograms

the doctor has been seen as was the on who found the lumps,, i just dont understand sometimes the road that we have to go threw to get tot he source.. it kinda seems like they are in cahouts with each other to run threrwa the gauntlet before actually doing the final course of action.. and frank i can see your side and do belive that some imaging can deteck the differnces in things so that would be a logical step in that reguards..

Larry, if a doc finds a lump that shouldn't be there, then it needs to be biopsied. The mammogram helps to tell how likely the lump is cancer or not, but nothing is as accurate as a biopsy. So why do the mammogram? More info before cutting into the patient is helpful in determining how to proceed - and what type of biopsy to perform. Like Frank said, mammograms are most helpful as a screening tool to find small cancers before they can be felt by the patient or her doctor.

the doctor has been seen as was the on who found the lumps,, i just dont understand sometimes the road that we have to go threw to get tot he source.. it kinda seems like they are in cahouts with each other to run threrwa the gauntlet before actually doing the final course of action.. and frank i can see your side and do belive that some imaging can deteck the differnces in things so that would be a logical step in that reguards..

Larry, I understand the "gauntlet" thing you are talking about. Doing surgery unnecessarily is almost as bad as delaying needed surgery. And, then there is always the concern of lawsuits. The docs cannot overlook anything. It has to be tough. Hang in there.

Last edited:
Wife went through this once

It was an out patient operation. That is, come in, get a sample, go home. The bruising was much more than I could have imagined and sore for about a week or so. I suspect they would like to minimize opening up the body not only for the recovery involved but the chance of infection and other complications.