Jewelry boxes

Steve Ash

I started out asking for some ideas to make a jewlery box for a Christmas present for my son's girlfriend.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1100

I made hers out of Birdseye Maple and Cherry with Ash corner splines. My wife saw the box and asked me to make one for her aunt. She asked me to make it out of Walnut with a Maple lid bordered with Walnut, and of course Ash corner splines.

I made that one and a friend asked me to make him one for his girlfriend...so I had to make yet another....on that box that I am sending to a friend I made two lids, one is Maple with the Walnut border and the other is solid Walnut.

All three boxes are finished in Min-wax polyurethane, with light sandings between coats.

Attachments

• 100_2859.jpg
    100_2859.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 107
  • 100_2860.jpg
    100_2860.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 59
  • 100_2862.jpg
    100_2862.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 100_2869.jpg
    100_2869.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 55
So that is what you've been doing while the site was down! very nice stuff Steve.

Maybe we should have an enforced site lockout two days a week so we all get to work

Jay

Hey Steve,
Great boxes. Keep this up and you will be box making full time.

BTW, my wife used to work in an upscale crafts store. The sold boxes a little bigger than yours, but with the same level of craftsmanship for $350, and they sold well!

I asked if they would buy some that I made, only problem is that they like to buy 100 at a time:doh: :doh:

BTW, my wife used to work in an upscale crafts store. The sold boxes a little bigger than yours, but with the same level of craftsmanship for $350, and they sold well!

Jesse, I posted these pictures on another site I frequent (tractors) one of those boxes I posted is for a friend from that forum's girlfriend and I asked him$45.00 for it....I feel so cheap now.....:rofl:

Nice boxes:)

well i quees you wont be down on our level anymore your off to the highrr platuae now with some nice cheery and maple and walnut your working with:) wished i were closer to see them up close.. my prefernce was the birds and walnut

Steve,

Can you provide any tips on surfacing the BE? I just picked up my first BE board yesterday for a jewlry box for my wife that I am planning to use with some mahogany I have. The equipment I have right now include a lunchbox planer, stanley #5, LV LA block (scheduled to arrive tomorrow:D ), card scraper, and, of course, sand paper.

Thanks!

Ed, I am also doing a bookcase
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=511

out of birdseye maple so what I did to smooth up the birdseye was lots of very light passes through my drum sander, it seemed to do a fine job with no tearout as I would have had with a planer.

I did find when running the rails and stiles through the other day I got a little bit of tearout from using the rail and stile cutters. It isn't very much and I think I can build the finish in those few areas when I get to that point in the project.

Simple answer...be patient with it and make light passes,on the jewelry box I spent a lot of time sanding it too 220 grit then lightly sanding between coats of finish. A friend i showed it to thought it was marble. Birdseye maple is truly some beautiful wood when it is all done.

The picture doesn't show the jewelry box very well, but her smile when I gave it to her for Christmas shows she was very happy and that made it all worthwhile.

Attachments

• 100_2892.jpg
    100_2892.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 30
Nice picture, Steve. She looks very pleased, and rightfully so. :thumb:

Can't say the same for the snowman that's bound and gagged to her left. :rofl:

Thanks Steve. I'll see what happens!

That does look like one happy lady, however I have to join Vaughn and Shaz and ask what's up with the snowman? You guys into snowman torture up there:eek:

Yeah, what is it with that snowman???

Vaughn, Shaz, once again you guys bring a chuckle....I had to show this to the Mrs......it's her snowman after all. Her explanation is that the snowman has a scarf around it's neck and is holding up a wreath......Thanks for the chuckle fellas.:thumb:

...and now you guys got Ed siding up with ya....

Last edited:
dont let im foolya

his wife is into torture for sure. go with her on trip and you dont need a radio her and the "rest" of the back seat make enough rachet to drown out the road noise. and you should see all her trophys she hase haunted house's and stuffed snowman and other critters all over..maybe she has some island heritage in her back ground(head hunter maybe):) poor steve has to stay alert constanlty.. but she is a good cook and very nice to strangers HMMMM maybe i just figured out why:)

Hey I saw this movie one time called "Motel Hell". It was the story of some people who as I recall, ran a motel and when people stayed there they would make them go to sleep then take them out back and dig a hole with a back hoe, put the people in the hole and fill it up with dirt, with just their head above ground and then feed them thruogh a funnel till they were "Plump"! :eek: It was a really bad movie.
Steve :huh: , Do you have a back hoe?:eek: :rofl:
Shaz