HF detail hand held spray gun

Dan Mosley

I realize that HF sells alot of cheap stuff - some good and some not so good. But i decided to buy a small detail spray gun from them - about $15.00 as i recall. I thought i would try out my hand at spray finiishing before buying a expensive one. I read a post here about someone that bought one and it turned out to be junk..........
Mine arrived today and i hooked it up to a regulator/filter and started spraying.....it was alot of fun for the 15min that it worked.....then it stopped because the entire trigger collapsed and came apart............
Im going to call them tomm and complain.......i realize i shouldnt expect much for $15.00 but i at least expect it to work....................

If your going to buy one from HF beware im not the only person not happy with deal.....................Dan

I realize that HF sells alot of cheap stuff - some good and some not so good. But i decided to buy a small detail spray gun from them - about $15.00 as i recall. I thought i would try out my hand at spray finiishing before buying a expensive one. I read a post here about someone that bought one and it turned out to be junk..........
Mine arrived today and i hooked it up to a regulator/filter and started spraying.....it was alot of fun for the 15min that it worked.....then it stopped because the entire trigger collapsed and came apart............
Im going to call them tomm and complain.......i realize i shouldnt expect much for $15.00 but i at least expect it to work....................

If your going to buy one from HF beware im not the only person not happy with deal.....................Dan

Sorry to hear it didn't hold up, Buuuuut.....if you just bought it, take it back & they will at least exchange it. I'm not familiar with "That" particular gun, but the Gravity feed Hvlf guns of theirs have gotten quite good reviews. I have one of those, but have not used it myself yet, but a friend that's a professional painter borrowed it to try it about 6 months ago & has since said he wants to just pay me for it, because he wants to keep it.:dunno::D I've also heard their 1 qt and 2 gal HVLP pressure pots are good also.

Norman..........yeah im like you i also bought the Gravity feed HVLP and havent used it yet either.....nothing to use it on at the moment. I bought it because of the good reviews i read about it............and going to call them today about the other one.....thanks

If the other gun is the 43430, that's always gotten pretty good reviews. I agree with Norman--take the other back. I asked about the detail gun one time on another forum. One member said he would have been happier if he had take $15 and flushed it down the toilet becaue at least he wouldnt have wasted a bunch of time doing that. Some of HF's stuff is decent and much of it is junk. Usually someone else has tried it and you can find reviews online.

I've had one of their HVLP guns for about 6 years now. I've sprayed a lot of lacquer through it and the only problem I've had with it is the nut that holds the seal around the trigger rod comes loose after about 30 min. of working. Have to keep tightening it up. I keep thinking a little Teflon tape on the threads might help but just never remember to do when I start.:D

Norman..........yeah im like you i also bought the Gravity feed HVLP and havent used it yet either.....nothing to use it on at the moment. I bought it because of the good reviews i read about it............and going to call them today about the other one.....thanks

Dan, one thought on the Gravity feed gun you have,......quite a while back there were a FEW bad reports on SOME of those guns, but it turned out that those just had a little bit of grit left inside from the casting process that didn't get cleaned out, so whoever figured out the problem posted on a forum and suggested that before using the gun you should take it apart and clean it good and the problem reports seemed to go away after that posting. The fellow that is using mine didn't know about the problems so he didn't do that but said it worked great from the start.

Thanks to all that responded.........I did call HF today and they are sending me a replacement.........i guess if this one does not work out ill have enough parts to make something work...........LOL
PS thanks for the advice on the cleaning of the HVLP gun and i will clean it prior to use............Dan

That's the one Jeff. They did change the gun at some point. The older ones are IDENTICAL to the PSH1s I have with the exception of the knob to adjust airflow. Someone in my club brought one to a meeting and we compared them side by side. The newer ones have the top hook cast as part of the body. Someone brought one of those too. We were just spraying water on drywall scraps, but they seemed to work equally well with proper adjustment. I like my PSH1 enough that I just picked up a second. I was about to get a new 43430 until I came across a deal I couldn't refuse on the second PSH1 (free+shipping.)

With the 2.2mm nozzle my PSH1 does a pretty poor job with latex. I bought some Floetrol to try but haven't gotten around to it yet. Most things I've read say HVLP guns are borderline at best even with their biggest nozzle set.

I realize that HF sells alot of cheap stuff - some good and some not so good. But i decided to buy a small detail spray gun from them - about $15.00 as i recall. ... Mine arrived today and i hooked it up to a regulator/filter and started spraying.....it was alot of fun for the 15min that it worked.....then it stopped because the entire trigger collapsed and came apart............ Im going to call them tomm and complain.......i realize i shouldnt expect much for $15.00 but i at least expect it to work.................... If your going to buy one from HF beware im not the only person not happy with deal.....................Dan
On the other side of the ledger, I bought that gun several years ago and have never had an issue with it. I depend on it routinely for spraying small projects and using it for basically air-brushing to shade the edges of items. :thumb:

Jeff.............yah i bought one of the guns you mentioned at the same time as the little detail sprayer from HF. I have not used it yet but i did pick it up due to the great reviews.......im going to post a stand i made in the new tool section........Dan