Christmas Gifts

I haven't been doing much in the shop this summer, but now that fall has arrived, the bug has been inchin' me, so I decided to use my oft neglected flat work tools again. (The lathe isn't happy, but it'll get over it!) :)

Anyway, I made 6 small Art Deco Clocks to give to some freinds and family this Christmas. I made 6 of these, 2 of each wood combination. Finished with satin lacquer, and all ready for Santa to pick them up for deliver!

The wood selection is:

Leopardwood body/wings with Quilted Maple base.
Spalted Maple body/wings with Cherry base.
Cherry body/wings with Walnut base.

The small clock movements were purchased from Klockit. This is a Wood Magazine project design, and they were enjoyable to build. But then again, it's always fun making sawdust! :D

Attachments

• Cherryclk.jpg
    Cherryclk.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 47
  • mapleclk.jpg
    mapleclk.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 50
  • leopardclk.jpg
    leopardclk.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 56
Thanks for the kind words Frank. This was a good project for using up some smaller pieces of wood.............a lot of bang for the buck! :)

Hey Kevin, good to see you around!

My lathe has been getting lonely too :rolleyes:

VERY nice work indeed, I'm sure the recipients will be well pleased! :thumb:

Thanks Stu. Good to be back here and in the shop.

After seeing them, the wifey insisted I make one for us too. Darn the luck, huh? ;)

thats fine way to use purty srcaps:thumb::thumb: now how do you get at them to either wind or chng batteries kevin.. or is this a throw away clock and save the wood ???

Thanks Larry! The clock movements are removable to set the time, or change the battery. They simply use a friction fit inside a 1 3/8" hole drilled with a Forster bit. All it takes to remove the clock movement is a thin bladed knife to gently remove the movement with a gentle "pry" under the bezel area. The clock movement uses a button cell battery.

That's a great design and will make wonderful gifts. The wood combinations are perfect, too.

Does the body simply slide in between the wings or is it also glued in place?

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It's good to be back in the shop making dust again. :thumb:

Cody, the body has a stop dado machined on either side, and the wings are glued into the dado, utilizing a relief notch on the top to hide the rounded portion of the dado where the straight cut bit stopped. They are glued in place, and the wings are fit into mortises in the base. For a small project, there is some work involved, but it's fun work! :)