Have a New Pt. Job!

Sean Wright

Things have been pretty busy with the new baby, so I haven't had a chance to post lately.

A while ago, I posted that there was a Woodcraft store opening about 5 minutes from my house. I threw my resume in, and what do you know, I got a call.....got an interview.....got a part time job!

I'll be working a night or two a week.

This past week and the upcomming week are store set up. Then we open after that.

I'm pretty excited, about the whole thing.

To be compliant with the CoC, I updated my signature to reflect this.

If I got a job at Woodcraft, or other like type of store, I'd probably need to just have them put my paychecks in a fund to pay for new toyls as I accumulated enough to get each one. :D
Congrats on the PT job. Will they let you tell people about FWW?? If you have business cards, maybe a line at the bottom that says something like: "Come join me at the Family Woodworking Forum at http://familywoodworking.org/forums/index.php" Might get some more members. :thumb: Jim.

Congrats, Sean! A few extra bucks and employee discount make a fun, if dangerous, combination. :p

...If you have business cards, maybe a line at the bottom that says something like: "Come join me at the Family Woodworking Forum at http://familywoodworking.org/forums/index.php" Might get some more members. :thumb: Jim.

It really only needs to say familywoodworking.org. No need for the www or http or the subfolders or the slashies. I think pretty much any browser nowadays will resolve the shortened URL correctly. ;)

Should be fun... You will get some lessons from working with the "public".

My Woodcraft in North metro Atlanta, got a new owner about a year ago and this week they moved from 6000 sq ft to 9000 sq ft. ( It's an old Eckard's drug store).

Going to be a very nice store. The owner is a real woodworker. He now has room to really stock things he likes plus the normal woodcraft stuff.

New class room has 8 new very nice benches and plenty of room. Plus has machine room in a seperate room behind the class room...

AND.....................

It is 1/2 mile from my house. I am not sure if that is good or bad. It is real good because they are really working on the stock.

I guess I need to get some pictures.

Very cool Sean - though I have to agree with Jim - I'm not sure if my pay check would make it home!:D

Have fun!

Wes

Should be fun... You will get some lessons from working with the "public".

My Woodcraft in North metro Atlanta, got a new owner about a year ago and this week they moved from 6000 sq ft to 9000 sq ft. ( It's an old Eckard's drug store).

Going to be a very nice store. The owner is a real woodworker. He now has room to really stock things he likes plus the normal woodcraft stuff.

New class room has 8 new very nice benches and plenty of room. Plus has machine room in a seperate room behind the class room...

AND.....................

It is 1/2 mile from my house. I am not sure if that is good or bad. It is real good because they are really working on the stock.

I guess I need to get some pictures.

Bartee,

I work with the "public" in my regular job (just over the phones), and I have worked in retail before, so I feel pretty confident about doing it again. But I know what you are saying.......

I don't know what the sq. footage of the store is, but it is pretty substantial. We have a much larger store than the Rockler in the Buffalo area.

Our classroom has 6 Rikon mini lathes, a huge Powermatic lathe, 6 DeWalt scroll saws, a 14" delux (13in resaw) Rikon bandsaw, 6 slow speed bench grinders, and soon a Saw Stop table saw. In addition there is a whole compliment of hand tools, clamps, and other accessories.

Besides working 2 days during the store setup, I have worked 3 (pt) shifts since the opening of the store. The one night was particularly enjoyable as I spent most of the shift talking to customers about woodworking and tools (and they paid me to do it!:thumb:) . It is a good change from the regular full time (non-woodworking) job.

And the discount is a big plus too! :D It isn't great on the power tools, as there isn't much markup on these (prices mostly set by the manufactures). However, on everything else it is pretty good! Every woodworking penny counts, right?:rolleyes:

Sean, it surely sounds like a win-win situation, as they get an employee that knows what he is talking about, and also, maybe more importantly, know what he does not know :thumb:

I'm sure that the average DIYer will enjoy talking to you and will benefit from it.

Cheers!

Sean, it surely sounds like a win-win situation, as they get an employee that knows what he is talking about, and also, maybe more importantly, know what he does not know :thumb:

I'm sure that the average DIYer will enjoy talking to you and will benefit from it.

Cheers!

Just don't be one of those employees that works at our local Woodcraft where it seems he has every machine. When I first started I talked to him about table saws etc and he said which one he had and all that, then the next week I went back in (he didn't remember me) and asked about a saw I hadn't seen before and he said he had that one. Also heard him with other customers saying things like that about "gadgets" or small tools and it makes me wonder if he really has used the stuff. I try to avoid this person when I go in, if I can.

I have a local hardware store near me, and Im so embarrassed when I have to ask for something that is so common yet Ive never seen it or heard of it before.
The guys(and woman) that assist me are so easy going and understand that most people are ignorant when it comes to buying hardware and such.
I guess its the reason they are in business for as long as I can remember,and the big stores dont hurt them.

You ask someone in the big store, where is this, I need a uh.....and they grab the paper, and just say, Aisle 14, maybe, but then look in aisle 12 also, and if its not there, try aisle 6, and if its not there, find someone in that dept that might be able to help you better.

Just don't be one of those employees that works at our local Woodcraft where it seems he has every machine. When I first started I talked to him about table saws etc and he said which one he had and all that, then the next week I went back in (he didn't remember me) and asked about a saw I hadn't seen before and he said he had that one. Also heard him with other customers saying things like that about "gadgets" or small tools and it makes me wonder if he really has used the stuff. I try to avoid this person when I go in, if I can.

Aaron, when I worked at the Woodsmith Store, that is the first thing the managers told me....if you don't know the answer, don't answer it!! Someone at the store will know the right answer and filling a customer's head with bad knowledge will only hurt the store's reputation.

Sean, that is great about your PT job...as other's have said, don't go broke saving money with your discount. :D