Good laugh at Woodcraft today . . .

Jim Mattheiss

My 9 year old son and I took a road trip today.

He got a visit to the Train / Hobby shop and then I got to go to Woodcraft.

We wandered around Woodcraft and he was asking questions about everything... At the back of the store was a Festool Kapex CMS hooked to a Vac. I looked it over for a while - I'd never seen one. He asked me : Why is is covered in sawdust? I had to laugh . . . Isn't that one of the major selling point of the Kapex - better dust control? :dunno:

He was fascinated by the lumber display in the back. He was knocking on each piece of wood (I don't recall why - explained why at the time) and comparing prices. He wanted me to buy his sister some purpleheart and make her something - she loves purple. :thumb: Does purpleheart remain purple or does it brown up over time?

$16.00 model at the Hobby shop.
$10.00 lunch at Burger King.
Spending the day with your son - priceless.

Cheers

Jim

purpleheart browns over time. You can slow it down depending on the finish.

I used a clear varathane (Waterbased Flecto) on some 13 years ago (bookcase trim) and it turned brown. A nice brown, but brown none-the-less.

I used Lee Valley Polymerized Tung Oil on another project with purpleheart trim, a stereo stand, about 12 years ago. That one still looks a rich dark burgundy. But the purple is long gone.

You want purple... paint it. :rofl:

Any day with your kid is a good day.
All colored woods change and purpleheart is no different. Depending on the log, it might brown up quickly or take months. But, it will brown up. For more permanent color you should consider dyes on something light.

The thing about purpleheart that never gets mentioning is that the purple doesn't last even through finishing. I have made several things with the wood, but the minute you apply finish it turns from purple to a kind of deep, rich cherry color. That color seems to last a long time in my experience.

Gilbert

Thanks everyone for the purpleheart info.

<Art> You want purple... paint it. </Art>

Woodcraft had paint/finishes area with several displays of boldly colored woods ie electric blue and bright yellow. That might work better and I can use some stock I already own.

I do need to expand my finishing repertoire (sp). 99.44% of the time I use Minwax Polycrylic over plain wood. My big choice is Gloss versus Satin. I did do my last project in Zinnser Bullseye Clear shellac (not the amber).

Tiny little baby steps . . .

Cheers

Jim

Great story Jim. Reminded me of my roadtrip in July to Washington with my 13 year old son. He wanted to see the Smithsonian Museums. I jumped at the opportunity to take him on a road trip. What 13 year old today is ready to leave the TV games and view museum exhibits. We had a great time. Drove from Toronto through Pennslyvania to Washington D.C. Part of the deal was a stop off at the Grizzly store in Muncy. We took our luggage trailer with us and dare i say stooped back in on the return trip to fill her up. Priceless bonding moment given the age he is at. I just hope I can coax him into the shop in the future. Got to expose him to a variety of places by driving down...Amish life, the Gettysburg Museum...( he sat and listen to Abraham Lincoln narration of the Gettysburg address) powerful stuff for a youngster of his age. Made me very proud of him.

It was delightful to hear that your son wanted to make something for his sister. Encouraging to see these characteristics in the younger generation given the impression created of them on TV.

Thanks for the story.