son-in-law going to Afghanistan

Frank Fusco

Our son-in-law, an Air Force Staff Sergeant, has been at (Army) Ft. Riley in Kansas for almost two months getting combat and other training prior to deployment to Afghanistan. He still has more than a months training to go before he leaves. He got a four day pass and his father drove there to pick him up and bring back to Arkansas. We had him for dinner last night and had a great visit. I am very pleased and proud of his attitude and equally pleased that both he and our daughter choose well for their life mates.
He has already had tours in Iraq and Kuwait (140 degree daytime temps :eek: ). Both times he came back with a boatload of awards and commendations. This tour will be different though. The Air Force is expected to perform patrol and protective service for their base. Meaning, even though his job is something technical, he will now also be a combat soldier. Understandably, we aren't thrilled about that. I gave him a knife, and Arkansas whetstone, to take along for the 'just in case' situation. It is a standard K-Bar Marine knife. But, this one was used in the Pacific theatre in WWII by a family friend and given to me when I was just a small kid. According to the friend, it was used in hand to hand combat against the Japanese. (I know the details but they are not important for here.) I have had this knife for more than 60 years. Now Andrew has it. The sheath is dry and crumbly, I'll buy a new style nylon one to send to him for actual use. When he returns, I'll make a shadow box display for it. We are praying he won't have to get Taliban blood on it and will return home unscathed.

Frank, he is in my prayers for sure. Great gift you gave him as well. As you said, let's hope it does not get used for its intended purpose. Wish him well.

Frank, thoughts and prayers sent Andrew's way, and I hope he gets bored just sharpening that knife.

My buddy Don is headed for the sandbox too, Iraq, he is DoD former military, he works for DRMO. He gets to wander around the sandbox and decide what gets reused, sold to the locals, or sold as scrap.

He will spend six months over there, his wife and kids are here in Japan.

Cheers!

Frank, Andrew will be in my prayers, as well as all the soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines serving in places of danger.

Your pride shows through in your post!

Consider this another vote of confidence for your S.I.L. and best wishes and hopes for his safe return.

cheers

John

Hi Frank

I have struggled with replying to your post. I wish Andrew well and with tomorrow being rememberance day, I actually wish there was no need for him to go. As heroic and patriotic as his service is, the dangers are real.
I will certainly think of him, pray for him and all the others in harms way that serve their countries in foreign locations. Lets hope the need for him to be away comes to an end soon.

Frank,
It's going to be hard to turn this way, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for Andrew.. and tell him thank you for all his service. I have nothing but the utmost respect for all the boys and girls that go into harms way for this country. I have two sons, one mine biologically, and one a step son.. both of whom has done their tour of duty in the army and fortunately were out before these current conflicts started.

Well, he is on his way.
Andrew had been at Ft. Riley, Kansas for several months. His original depart date was to be Dec. 24. And, he was going to able to go back to Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs to be with wife for a while before departing from there. Instead, for more than a month now, he, and the others, have been sitting around, doing nothing. They were not even allowed to go back with families for a visit. Then yesterday they were told to pack and be ready. Earlier today, they were put on a plane. He didn't even have a chance to call his wife until they stopped in Ireland for fuel. That's where he is right now (about 5 p.m.) but will be in Afghanistan by morning.
Wish him well, please.

Our prayers are with him, as well as all the soldiers going over seas. I guess that is the key, those willing to go over seas so that it doesn't come here.