What were your woodworking highlights in 2006

russ-n-travis, all we`ve done is to bring an idea to fruition.......it`s totally up to each-n-every one of us where this forum goes:eek: .......i sincerely hope each and every one of us will contribute knowledge and inspiration in the upcomming year.....so for everybody who`s posted anything at all........THANKS! tod

Garage remodel

The garage remodel that I posted about in the construction forum was it for me. Unfortunately, this involved dismanteling my shop (mostly turning shop), and I have not done any "woodworking" since. Plans are coming together for a new shop though.

Jamie

I can't think of any single woodworking project that occurred in 2006 that I'm particularly proud of -- they were mostly of the mundane or "been there, done that" variety. 2007 promises to be a little more challanging in that I'm "scheduled" to build my youngest daughter a bedroom suite. Since I've got creative license and an eager little girl awaiting the result, this should prove be to rewarding.

Due to a combination of having already consumed every square inch of alloted available space in the garage and the purchasing of a new motorcycle during the summer, there were no major tool acquisitions this past year either. If memory serves, the most exciting items were a few new lathe tools and a new festool RO sander and vaccuum setup.

I would like to express my appreciation for those that put in the hard work to develop this site. I'm looking forward to many hours of posting/reading about our working projects to come. :)

Since I just started woodworking this Spring, I have purchased all my equipment in 2006, except for a few things I got from My Dad. I really like my Delta table saw, Beis fence, Incra miter guage/sled and the Delta blade guard. Combined, they make a really nice cutting station. A couple of Rigid MUVs for my Makita planer and DeWalt Miter saw were a great addition, at a super price.

I think the most "fun" thing, however, I think is going to be my Jet Mini lathe.... A whole new area of woodworking for me.

Most of my projects have been boxes and jigs for the kitchen and shop, but more ambitious ones are in "the queue" for next year. Right now I'm involved in remodeling the house, with lots of trim, molding, paint and wallpaper.

Lots of reading, and getting tons of advice from all the great folks here, have really helped.

Thanks to all....

Last edited:
Most of my work this year involved butchering 2x4's and fir ply for shelves, carts, tool stands, a lumber rack, etc - all for my basement workshop. Some old planes got a new lease on life, as well as some old saws.

Man, that was one hot sticky summer we had up north here in Nova Scotia ! I pity you people in places further south - must've been a killer. I had to pack it in in July because I kept melting all over the work - ewww!

Top tool acquisition moment was discovering that a little panel saw I picked up because it had a cool handle was quite rare. It's a Harvey Makepeace Perfection Saw, Model P70 6ppi crosscut - 20" long. It's gone into my portable toolchest.

Attachments

• P70.JPG
    P70.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 11
  • P70_03.JPG
    P70_03.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 14
Ah.:huh: :huh: :huh:

Not a highlighted paying job---

But I guess its getting a ceiling in my shop that I did not have with the old roof.;)

Thats all I can think :huh: of at the moment.:)

My highlights for 2006 were Retirement at the end of January followed closely with the purchase of a new tablesaw and bandsaw and then finding all you fine folks so I could learn how to drive them.
Thanks to all

Brian:thumb:

My highlights were building a computer table for my kids computer, took to project from a scetch to the real thing in about two months. Working in an unheated garage over the chicago winter really slowed the process down, I had to wait for a string of warm days to put the finish on.

My newest addition to the shop was a model 97 Parks planer. I picked that up a garage sale for about $200 bucks, nice machine.

Dan

Shop highlights were:
Delta 8" jointer
16" Performax Drum sander
DC

Skill highlights:
Learning to be a little more patient. Sometimes I find I still have a schoolboy fever for getting to the next step or finishing the project. Realizing this I am now more apt to say this will not do, accept my mistakes and do it over.

Project highlights:
The shelf is a bent lamination with ebony plugs and feet. While it is a simple design i was very happy with the results.
The desk was done in pecan and walnut.

Other highlights:
Met Stu and Jim through another woooworking forum. Got together with them a couple of times to shoot the bull and went to two great woodturning classes with Stu.

Overall a great year. Looking forward to 2007 for a continuation.

Yoi Otoshi (Happy New Year).

Attachments

• desk1.jpg
    desk1.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 19
  • desk2.jpg
    desk2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 12
  • shelf.jpg
    shelf.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 20
The most challenging project this yr. had to be a 10' long cupboard that I made for our church. The top is slanted on a 20 degree slope, but the real challege was to get straight edges on the top boards so I could glue them together with a tight seam. Other than that I made a few pens to give away.

DK