I capitulated.

Frank Fusco

I finally caved in. Since starting to use Vista, I have found it necessary to reboot frequently and got tired of waiting for pages to come up. Felt like I was back in the old (early) days of dial-up. So....taking the advice of that source of all e-things wonderful....Yahoo, I downloaded...."gulp"....:eek: .....I'm so embarrassed....."choke"....Firefox 3. There, I said it.
With only a few minutes of use, I see a definite change. Pages pop up instantly, like they are supposed to with the 'gee whiz' fast cable service I'm paying for.
I did lose the Google spil cheeker witch helps keep me from looking like too much of an idjit. And, it did not import my Favorites/Bookmarks like it was supposed to. Mebbe I'll find fixes.
Mebbe I'll just go back to a quill and ink pot.

Attachments

• ages.jpg
    ages.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 6
I like Firefox 3 but there is one thing that bothers me about it and that is....
say you know the web address you want to go to, so you type it in the main bar up top and of course you go there. Now you go other sites, but say you want to go back, you used to be able to pick that address you just typed from the address pull down but it no longer shows up.

All mine shows is bookmarks in the pulldown, why in the world would I want bookmarks in the main pull down address bar, I thought that's why that was a bookmark pull down up top. I digress now, but I like version 2 better because of that.

Frank, welcome to the bright side!
You should not need the Google spell checker as Vista will check just about anything you type into a box anywhere. Watch for light red squigly lines under misspelled words when you do your posts then right click on it to see the suggestions.

Now, I'm pretty sure this is a Vista thing and not Firefox. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Frank, welcome to the bright side!
You should not need the Google spell checker as Vista will check just about anything you type into a box anywhere. Watch for light red squigly lines under misspelled words when you do your posts then right click on it to see the suggestions.

Now, I'm pretty sure this is a Vista thing and not Firefox. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Testing, I miss my spil cheeker. By golly, it did it. Nebber did thet before. :eek:
Did you know 'heuer' is misspilled? :rofl:

Who are you and what have you done to Frank? Next thing you know, you're gonna be saying bowl gouges are fun and easy to use.

What is the world coming to? :rolleyes:

Still getting acquainted with it. I got an e-mail saying some of Bill Gates' thugs are on the way over here.
Bookmarks is awkward to use, still working on that.

Frank, I heard Bill Gates is doing his own "thug" work now that he retired...:D:rofl:

I'll be watching this thread, I've been having some hiccups with IE lately that have been making me :bang:

I finally caved in. Since starting to use Vista, I have found it necessary to reboot frequently and got tired of waiting for pages to come up. Felt like I was back in the old (early) days of dial-up. So....taking the advice of that source of all e-things wonderful....Yahoo, I downloaded...."gulp"....:eek: .....I'm so embarrassed....."choke"....Firefox 3. There, I said it.
With only a few minutes of use, I see a definite change. Pages pop up instantly, like they are supposed to with the 'gee whiz' fast cable service I'm paying for.
I did lose the Google spil cheeker witch helps keep me from looking like too much of an idjit. And, it did not import my Favorites/Bookmarks like it was supposed to. Mebbe I'll find fixes.
Mebbe I'll just go back to a quill and ink pot.

Frank,
There is a setting on the Firefox that will let you import your bookmarks/favorites from IE.. Go to File and click on Import.. I think you can do it from there.

I like Firefox 3 but there is one thing that bothers me about it and that is....
say you know the web address you want to go to, so you type it in the main bar up top and of course you go there. Now you go other sites, but say you want to go back, you used to be able to pick that address you just typed from the address pull down but it no longer shows up.

All mine shows is bookmarks in the pulldown, why in the world would I want bookmarks in the main pull down address bar, I thought that's why that was a bookmark pull down up top. I digress now, but I like version 2 better because of that.

go into Options and set new sites to open in a new tab... the old tab will still be in the top of the too bar.

I UN-capitulated

I uninstalled Foxfire today.
I didn't like all the tool bar garbage that took up screen space at the top. Didn't like the bookmark system and couldn't import from Explorer.
But, most of all, I figured out that the 'slow' I was experiencing was not from Explorer or my computer. It was from individual sites, particularly Yahoo which is my home page. Foxfire could not improve on that.
Some will say I could have left it anyway. Not me, I don't like unused 'stuff' on my computer. I'm still behaving like I had to with my first computer and a 256 mb hard drive where regular housekeeping was a necessity. Still follow those habits. I think that is why I don't get spam in my Windows Mail.
Bye-bye Mozilla. :wave:

Pity.

One of the best things about having firefox is waiting for one program or another to trip the "MS IE is not your default browser. Would you like to correct this?" and being able to click, "NO"!

Last edited:
Just set it in over there in the corner next to your bowl gouge. :D

Keeping your computer free of unneeded programs is a good idea, but it really has no bearing on the amount or type of spam you might get. ;)

Just set it in over there in the corner next to your bowl gouge. :D

Keeping your computer free of unneeded programs is a good idea, but it really has no bearing on the amount or type of spam you might get. ;)

Vaughn, we have had this discussion before. I don't speeka the geeka. Cannot debate with the experts. All I know is if I let 'puter get cluttered I get spam. Keep it clean I don't. If I remove or disable Windows Washer I will start to get spam. Keep it going, I don't get spam. Actually, I get about one spam on my Windows Mail per month and about two per day on my Yahoo address. That's the extent of my expertise on that subject.