Tool Chest

Jerry Palmer

Having recently gotten the Incra LS router table positioner, I decided to try it out on some 1/4 sawn red oak I picked up a few months back at a saw mill I like to go to in Huntsville. I've seen a number of these machinist style tool chests and decided to try my hand.

ToolChest01.jpg

The case is assembled with 1/2 blind DTs which were technically perfect with the LS, but still ugly IMO so I covered them over with some ~ 1/8" molding.

ToolChest02.jpg

ToolChest03.jpg

The drawers are also 1/2 blind DTs on the front and through DTs on the back. Splines glued into dados in the case act as guides/slides for the drawers and are positioned so that the front ends of the splines meet the end of the grooves in the drawer sides to stop the drawer with the face flush to the case of the chest.

The hardware is all pretty easy to find stuff at the box store with the little bitty knobs for the drawers being the most difficult thing to find.

Very nice tool chest, Jerry. Looks like you got the Incra figured out just fine. (Welcome to Club Incra, too.)

Nice tool chest Jerry :thumb: Will hold your special tools in style. Also made with my favorite choice of wood, just love qtr sawn red oak and yours is real nice, great flecking :thumb:

Tom

Looks like you got the Incra figured out just fine. (Welcome to Club Incra, too.)

Yeah, um, Jerry, what's up with this? ;)

Folks, this is Jerry we're talking about... You should see the coopered doors he made! With hand tools. This is a man who goes shopping for old hand saws! What was the name of that old rusty brand? Distill? Distaff? Disston? ;)

His one concession to modernity was a BT portable saw... :D

So first he buys a grizzly table saw, now he's got a router table with an incra jig installed? I swear to you, the millennium must be nearly upon us! ;)

I must say, he ribbed me pretty good when I got mine and couldn't figure out how to set it up. He said "I can solve your problem. You just put that pretty new fangled thing back in that there box and ship it down here to Texas. You'll never have to worry about it again!" ;)

Tee hee! And now he's broken done and got one! What *would* Sonny say? ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the kind words.

Larry,
As of now it only has a good coat of pure tung oil on it. I'll likely add a coat or two of varnish after the tung oil has had a chance to cure. Could be the wood grew up in some of that red east Texas clay and picked up a little extra pigment from that. I've noticed differences in color in mesquite depending on where it came from.

Bill,
You can bet that Sonny weighed in with his 2 cents worth on the Incra. :) I still vintage tool hunt, but with what I have already, the pickens for unique stuff has gotten slim. I still can not pass up a decent vintage Starrette Combo Square in the wild, but other things gotta be real bargains. I'm mostly really trying to force myself to use the best tool and technique for the job rather than defaulting to hand tools, though I do backslide sometimes.