"Mark as Read"

Aaron Beaver

Is there a spot to mark as read certain "sections" of the forums? Like anything under Off Topic Area, is there a way to mark just those sub-categories?

Aaron, I've not been able to find a way to use the "Mark as Read" option on individual subforums. I think the option is global...it marks all of the threads.

Aaron, I've not been able to find a way to use the "Mark as Read" option on individual subforums. I think the option is global...it marks all of the threads.

For individual sub forums you can go under forum tools and mark that particular one 'read', but you have to do that for each sub forum. Just looking for something that would do each sub fourm under a particular group. Just lazy I guess.:D Thanks for looking

For individual sub forums you can go under forum tools and mark that particular one 'read', but you have to do that for each sub forum. Just looking for something that would do each sub fourm under a particular group. Just lazy I guess.:D Thanks for looking
Ah, I forgot about the Forum Tools. I was looking at the Quick Links.

One minor gripe I have about vBulletin is that the controls are scattered all over the place.

This may not be the answer to your question, but if you double click on the icon at the far left on a particular forum (like "Off Topic") it will mark all the threads in "Off Topic" as read. The problem is that they still appear when you do a "New posts" - they're just not highlighted.

What I want is some way to permanently remove certain forums from my "New Posts". That is, perhaps I have no interest in laser work, or CNC work (if we had those forums). I'd like to mark those forums as "ignore" and not have the messages in them appear when I click on "New Posts".

Mike

This may not be the answer to your question, but if you double click on the icon at the far left on a particular forum (like "Off Topic") it will mark all the threads in "Off Topic" as read. The problem is that they still appear when you do a "New posts" - they're just not highlighted.

Mike

I don't use the 'new post' button so what you are saying would work, but when I click or double click on a heading only thing it does is bring up that sub forum only.

Example:If I move my mouse over 'off topic' it turns yellow, when I click on it, it opens the off topic section only. It wont let me double click. :dunno:

Mike, I think we looked at that at some point, it is possible, but it is a serious hack to the software, which would then cause a lot of trouble down the road when the software gets updated, as it does several times a year.

:dunno:

I don't use the 'new post' button so what you are saying would work, but when I click or double click on a heading only thing it does is bring up that sub forum only.

Example:If I move my mouse over 'off topic' it turns yellow, when I click on it, it opens the off topic section only. It wont let me double click. :dunno:
There's an icon to the left of the forum name, in a separate column. It looks like a bulletin board with some papers tacked to it. Double click on that.

Note that you only see this at the top level screen - the one that shows all the forums.

Mike

Last edited:
There's an icon to the left of the forum name, in a separate column. It looks like a bulletin board with some papers tacked to it. Double click on that.

Note that you only see this at the top level screen - the one that shows all the forums.

Mike

ohh, I see it now, that is a little quicker at least I don't have to open up each sub forum, thanks

:eek: Well, I'm shocked...shocked, I say, that anyone would not want to read and savor every single post on every single forum. Why, I even print out each post separately so it can go into my Family Woodworking scrapbook. :type:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What I want is some way to permanently remove certain forums from my "New Posts".

Mike,

I use a shortcut that I load with the forum numbers I want to see or rather, the ones I want to skip if you'll pardon the reverse logic.

This search:

http://www.familywoodworking.org/forums/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=40,41,36,39,9

gives me everything that qualifies as a new post EXCEPT forums 40, 41, 36, 39 and 9. If you want to know which forums are which numbers. Just go to the main page

http://www.familywoodworking.org/forums/index.php

roll your mouse over a given forum title and the URL will show up at the lower left of your screen if you run IE6. I'm not sure about IE7 or Firefox or others. Worst case scenario; right click the forum title and look at the 'properties' to get the numbers.

P.s. the geeks shall inherit the earth!

Here's the full URL, with spaces added to keep vBulletin from truncating it:

http:// w w w.familywoodworking.org/forums/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=40,41,36,39,9

I just create a shortcut or a bookmark or a favorite (your choice) with the URL as shown. The do=getnew operand invokes a fresh search each time you use the shortcut (or favorite or whatever mechanism) just as if you clicked the "New Posts" link but I add the &exclude variable. If you like less than you don't like, the &include variable performs the opposite function ;-) For example:

http:// w w w.familywoodworking.org/forums/search.php?do=getnew&include=2

would yield only New Posts and only those in General Woodworking (forum #2).

Last edited: