old saying

Wats that old saying?
Measure..........how much?
Cut.........how many times?
Nebber mind........enuf said. :eek:

Frank, I really enjoyed reading your post! I thought I was the only one who still made measuring errors, especially when I'm in a hurry! My New Year's resolution is to get rid of every measuring implement in my shop that has both SAE and metric scales on them!!!:bang:

Thanks for sharing!

Once upon a time,
In a factory far, far away,
Someone posted a Hagar the Horrible cartoon on the bulletin board. Hagar and crew had built a sailboat, a sailboat that was obviously far too large to get out the shop door. Hagar charged some dweeb with the task of sending the boat to the sea. But when said dweeb measured the boat and the door, and then reported to Hagar that the boat would not fit thru the opening, Hagar took the yardstick and broke it in half over his knee. Hagar: “Measure it again!”

Over Hagar’s head was penned in the name of my boss, and over the dweeb’s was mine.

Actually what I did was get my head into a complete fog. I was cutting round pieces of osb to make a dougnut chuck for the lathe. I needed a 6" RADIUS (12" diameter). When I finished, I had two 24" diameter round things. No, I wasn't drinking, smoking funny stuff or anything. Braino went blotto. I know I had something else important on my mind, was probably just going through motions and not thinking. Did my cutting with the bandsaw, had a 3/4"X4tpi blade on it, gratful the part of my mind that keeps fingers away from sharp stuff was working. I haven't told my son, the ER physician, this story. He thinks I am nuts for having a workshop at all. He sees too much at work.

variations on the same theme

Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly. -JOAT

Measure twice, cut once. Then redesign the piece to fit your new dimensions!

Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an ax.

If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.