Thread: New poster with some last minute turnings

New poster with some last minute turnings

I am a new poster to the group and wish to say hello to everyone. I'm glad to see the site back up and running after being down.

These are a couple of last minute turnings before Christmas. An ornament for my grandson turned out of scyamore with mylands finish and some seam rippers for a friends daughter. She is in a quilting group and she is selling them to the ladies in the group like hot cakes.

I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a safe and good New Year.

Bobby
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails first ornament.jpg.jpg   seam rippers.jpg.JPG  

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Hey Bobby,
    Welcome to the Family and those look like great turning. I lookforward to seeing more of your work
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Bobby, where do you get the seam rippers, my wife is a quilting guild member, those seam rippers look fast and easy.

Nice job.
    Last edited by Richard Leshner; 12-22-2006 at 08:29 PM. Reason: to avoid any confusion
    Richard "Butch" Leshner

Welcome Bobby. That's a great keepsake ornament, what a wonderful idea! Looks great, as do the seam rippers. I'll bet those ladies really like those. Nice handles, and much easier to hold onto than the plain plastic ones. Great ideas........thanks for sharing your work with us!

Welcome aboard Bobby, and nice work on all counts. I know some quilters, so I may have to look into the seam ripper idea. Did you start with a store-bought ripper and make a handle to fit, or did you find kits somewhere?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks for the comments fellows, they are appreciated.

Richard, my friends daughter gets them through the quilting club from a supplier, I not sure who. They come 12 to a box and I think he said it averages out to about .25 cents apiece. I was buying them at Wal-Mart but I was paying between 1 to 2 dollars for them.

Bobby

Wal-Mart is where I got mine, 99 cents each.
    BTW, if you make any, make them so the actuall ripper tool can be pulled out of the handle and replaced. They get dull and a permanently fixed ripper on an expensive handle won't be especially appreciated. I just make a hole about the size of the center of the tapered ripper tang and shove in.

Bobby that is some awesome turning. Great job.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.