Mini Birdhouses

Well here are few mini birdhouse ornaments that I turned getting ready for Christmas. These are just different scraps of wood I had around the shop that I saved. Tops are maple, ambrosia maple and cedar. Bottoms are in order bocote, walnut, cocobolo, elm, 2 purple heart and yellow heart. Birds were bought at hobby lobby. The ones last year without birds didn't sell but the ones that I put the birds on did so this year they are all getting them.

Attachments

• Birdhouses 2.jpg
    Birdhouses 2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Birdhouses 3.jpg
    Birdhouses 3.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 45
Nice work Bernie. How did you get the texture on the tops? Very nice effect.

Thanks. I did the textured tops with the Wagner tool that CSUSA sells. I saw them at Richmond so thought I would give them a try. Just couldn't justify the Sorby outfit. Here they are and if you go down there is a short video on it. I got the 1/4 X 16 and the 3/8 X 16.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...agner_Texturing_Tool___wagner_texturing?Args=

By the way they are finished with rattle can lacquer except for the yellowheart. I finished it with shellac and then used clear shoe polish that Bonnie Klien and Cindy Drozda told me about. Works slick buffing it with a soft cloth running about 1250.

I just got back form Hobby Lobby here in Springfield Mo and the only small birds they had were the ugliest things you have ever seen. No Cardinals or Blue birds, nothing. Michaels had some mini birds but theres looks like someone squished them with pliers. Got to find a source somewhere!!!!!! :(:(:(

Thanks again. Larry I have found with the birds on them they have sold better for me. The first year I didn't I think I sold maybe a half dozen. Last year I sold 28 of them with birds. The 3 I had without didn't so I added them.

Jay come to think of it I think it was Michael's where my wife picked up these last bunch of birds. This Michaels she went to in Richmond, VA had a 4' wide by 5' high peg board section just full of birds. I also order from our local craft store.