1st segmented bowl

Hey all this is my first attempt at a segmented bowl.(segmented anything)It don't have a finish on it yet but will probably put some blo and laquor to finish it off. It has some tear out on it but not to much.It's made of cyprus, cedar, and mahogany.All comments welcome
Steve

Attachments

• 005 [640x480].JPG
    005 [640x480].JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 006 [640x480].JPG
    006 [640x480].JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 007 [640x480].JPG
    007 [640x480].JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 39
Great job Stephen! Make sure to post pic's of post finish. I was also impressed with your fruit replications, I've been trying to nail those down for months. Finish on the apple is especially nice!

I agree with Mohammad -- great start, and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished pics. And I can relate to the tearout. Dried cedar can be a real challenge to get a clean cut on.

Looks good Steve, segmented turning is one area (of many) that I've not yet dived into. The opportunity for design in segmented turning is really limitless.

Cheers!

Thanks again. I look at all the segmented bowls and hf and think boy i shore like that,one of these days i'm gonna try that.saturday i just desided to go for it,if it failed it failed no big loss as it was made of scrap. I think i'll keep working on them as they weren't as hard as i thought. Ofcorse it'll take some time to get to the pro level, buy it's something to work at.
Steve

Chuck now that's what i'm looking forward to being able to do someday,at least it's something to set as a goal. don't know if it will happen but i can only keep trying and dreaming.
steve

Those are real droolers aren't they... It's the level I've set my ambition to also.. haven't tried a segmented bowl yet, I've done a few peppermills in glue-ups and they turned out well. I like what you did on your first one too. I like the colors you used..

Last edited: