New DT Saw

Ed Nelson

Here is a pic of my "new" dovetail saw. This is something I started making a couple years ago. Alan DuBoff offered me some very nice saw nuts. Imagine my surprise when I open a box to find an entire saw kit!!!

The blade, back, and nuts are from him. He also sent a maple handle cutout, but I had started one from walnut and decided to use it. The handle was rasped and sanded to shape, finished with garnet shellac and wax.

I didn't get things lined up as I would have liked, but it seems to work well!

IMG_0640.jpg

Ed, the saw looks great. I have considered getting a saw kit from Mike Wenzloff for some time, but I am not sure he still offers that service. What aspect of the saw building would you consider to be the most challenging?

Cutting the kerf for the blade and mortising for the back. You really need to be precise and this one could have definitely been done better. I had actually started making the blade too and may still try to finish that one. Sure would be nice to have a toother!!!

Dude, that looks great. I've been hearing about it for a long time ... sweet!

You never even mentioned you finished it ... MONTHS ago!

That looks sweet to me, Ed. :thumb: Great job.

(I'm still trying to figure out how it attaches to your router, though.) :p

A beauty!

Nice work! How cool is it to have a tool the you can walk around telling people, "Yeah, the dovetails on this drawer are all handcut.....with a backsaw that I made myself." Can't wait to see what you make with it! Again, great looking saw! :thumb:

Hutch

Here is a pic of my "new" dovetail saw. This is something I started making a couple years ago. Alan DuBoff offered me some very nice saw nuts. Imagine my surprise when I open a box to find an entire saw kit!!!

The blade, back, and nuts are from him. He also sent a maple handle cutout, but I had started one from walnut and decided to use it. The handle was rasped and sanded to shape, finished with garnet shellac and wax.

I didn't get things lined up as I would have liked, but it seems to work well!

I am late getting into this thread Ed but like you, I miss Alan DuBoff's presence on here. We had some great private conversations on making hand tools...mostly saws and he certainly knows his saws!

Nice dovetail saw though. I can certainly understand the desire to make the perfect saw, but oh how that is so difficult to obtain! I hope you have not got hooked on hand making saws now though...it is a very slippery slope that is for sure. :)