Round-Point Tool

Cody Colston

Has anyone here used one...have one?

I was re-watching a Woodworks episode I have recorded and David Marks was turning a Sycamore bowl with an Ebony rim. A couple of times, he used what he called a round-point tool which looked like a round gouge with a tri-faceted point...ie, the point had three distinct flats on it.

I didn't really see him do anything with it that I can't do with other tools, but I was just curious if anyone else had used one. I don't recall ever hearing the term or seeing it in any of the catalogs or tool sites.

Cody,

I've neither used nor have one, but I did happen to see one for sale at Woodcraft here in Austin. I was there on Saturday and just happened to notice it. I looked at it for a couple of minutes as I'd seen both David Marks and another turner on TV whose name escapes me use one in their episodes. Wish I could shed some light on usage, but at least you might find one at your local Woodcraft in case you are interested.

Has anyone here used one...have one?

I was re-watching a Woodworks episode I have recorded and David Marks was turning a Sycamore bowl with an Ebony rim. A couple of times, he used what he called a round-point tool which looked like a round gouge with a tri-faceted point...ie, the point had three distinct flats on it.

I didn't really see him do anything with it that I can't do with other tools, but I was just curious if anyone else had used one. I don't recall ever hearing the term or seeing it in any of the catalogs or tool sites.

Cody, I made one out of a piece of steel I had laying around... mine isn't as precise and pretty as some I've seen... I saw one on a video and decided I could make it rather than buy one.. I use it as a clean up tool more than anything else, when I need to get into a tight or close place.. the video I saw, I think he used it doing some boxes or something relatively small. It's handy and with a grinder you can make your own, but I wouldn't necessarily think it to be indespensible either.

I'm glad you brought this up. I noticed that tool on the same episode and always had the same question. Just this morning I noticed on Doug Thompson's site that he sells a blank for making one.

Was gonna buy one of his u shaped gouges but he has been sold out for a long time now.

Love the Pyramid tool

I have a 1/2" pyramid point tool and love it. I still struggle with the skew and have used the pyramid point tool to round christmas ornaments. I sharpen with a little $6 diamond hone and it works well. I made a bunch of bottle stoppers and found it to be very helpful.

http://www.woodturner.org/resources/videos/2005_fall_point_tool.wmv is a link to a video on the AAW site that you can watch to see it in action.

I hope to have time after the holidays to do some serious skew practice but have to many things I want to make in the meantime to spend time practicing.

I have one I got from Randy Privet of Monster Tools. He also sells a piece or gauge that you put it in and it will give you a perfect surface and keep the angles correct. I love it when doing lidded boxes, ornaments, etc. Works great.

Man, I need to get out more. Seems like everyone except me and Shane has one of those tools. :eek:

I'll have one soon, though. I've got just the project to use one on. ;)

Thanks for the replies, y'all.

Cody

Here is a pic of a couple I made. I make them in 3/8 and 1/2. I use drill blanks ordered from Enco. The handle shape feels good in your hand and the pointed end works well with a Wolverine system. For those that have trouble rolling beads with a skew or gouge these work supprisingly well.

I also make thin parting tools.

Terry

Attachments

• MVC-001F.JPG
    MVC-001F.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 41
  • MVC-002F.JPG
    MVC-002F.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 33