Mahogony finishing...

Theres alot more to digest in finishing than there is in woodworking itself.
How stupid was I ever to think when I mastered a few things like surfacing and jointery, Id be able to produce something Id be proud of.
Man, was I wrong.

Allen,

I am a professional only in that I sell my work to pay for my addiction, and I do it "full time" to keep me off the golf course (I am retired). But my spray booth is outside, in the area between the garage door and the cars. May not work every day in Long Island, but I know people who spray USL indoors.

The purpose of a filler is to... fill the grain and give a smooth surface. On mahogany, I spray a coat of USL, then sand it as if I had used a sanding sealer or specialized filler... down to the wood (yes I use coarse sandpaper - 400 grit) on a power ROS. It may take a second filler coat before the holes in the grain are filled level with the surface, but that is similar to using a sealer or filler... and much faster/easier. Then I keep spraying with the same stuff, allowing it to dry for a half hour between coats. Ideally you should let it dry for hours or a day before the final finishing, but I have completed a piece in hours from the start of filling to ready to deliver.

I consider USL ideal for beginners since it is so simple and forgiving. The big feature it has over Polycrylic (which I have used) is "full burn in" meaning that each new coat blends into previous coats, so when you sand or rub out, there is no challenge. If you sand through the finish, just put more on - no witness lines.

I have USL on my own kitchen table, and have used it on tables that I have sold (the customers seem happy). I have also used the conversion varnish that Sam used on that table, but I don't recommend it for a beginner.

I have a couple web pages on these finishing techniques at www.solowoodworker.com/wood/finish.html (I think I am allowed to post a link to my own site on this forum, but if not, I hope the moderators will just remove this paragraph, not the whole post.)

Last edited:
temps will be in the mid to upper 40s near me this week.
Ive used outdoor spar varnishes on furniture made only for outdoors in cold weather, 30s, even 20s. Never seemed to have a major application problem, other than it taking 4 days to dry.
And to be quite honest, I never look that close, since its outdoors in snow and rain, Im never worried if there isnt a mirror finish or anything close to it.
If I brush on varnish or any type of poly finish this week,(indoor table-mahogany) will it affect the overall look, or will it just need more time to dry(which I know is bad since dust is always a major factor)The cans always say use in 50 degree or above, but it only states this usually referring to drying times.
I should be sanding soon, Im doing way more damage than good, so I decided to give it a final 220 grit and start putting on some finish, at least the bottom so I can experiment.