G0440 Arrives

glenn bradley

Well, that was quick. I ordered it last Thursday and it shows up Tuesday :D. FedEx Freight was great as usual. Rolled it right into the shop. The driver pointed out one small puncture on box 2. We opened the box and did a careful inspection of the filter; no damage. It appears Grizzly made good on assuring that I got one with the larger impeller and the filter brush already installed (way to go Shiraz).

With the holidays upon us I probably won't get around to setting this guy up till after the first of the year. I guess that'll give me time to pick up ducting and do some checking to see if it is going to fit where I think it is going to fit :rolleyes:. Following my own advice, I will unbox and inspect everything right away; then re-box it for safe keeping.

I ran 10 gauge to the outlet planned for this, wired and breaker'd it for 110v and have been running my 1HP Delta on it. I just need to swap the outlet and the breaker for 220v so that part of the plan looks like it will actually work out :thumb:. Once I start the installation I will try to be diligent about photos and progress notes. I know how much other's time and effort in discussing the process helped me along and I want to add to that knowledge-base.

Attachments

• G0440-Arrives.jpg
    G0440-Arrives.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Dang, Glenn! That's really nice.

What should I say? You S..... whoops, can't say that anymore. Must think of something else. Maybe something that reverses the old 'Don't hate me because it's beautiful' line? Naw, that's overused. Green with envy? Naw... oh, wait. Green! Yes! That's it!

Glenn, you are pond scum! ;)

Anyway, congrats on the new tool! There's no way I could ever wait till after new years to set it up, though. I always want to play with my new toys right away! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I always want to play with my new toys right away! ;)

I am already falling victim to that lust. I just clarified with LOML that Christmas is at her house this year. The reason for planning ahead is I started to un-box this thing and it is (although exactly what the measurements are supposed to be) larger than expected.

There is no way to unpack it without cutting the box off the pallet. I don't want it "laying around" the shop for weeks and weeks. So, the parts will live in my living room till the install . . . ergo; no Christmas Tree for me. One of the luxuries of living alone ;-)

Congratulations on the "New Arrival", Glenn. Maybe you'll get an unexpected Benefit though, 'cause it may "Scare Off" any Dust that might think of "Settling" in your Living Room by just being there.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Turn that puppy upside down, add some lights and tinsel, and voila! A Christmas tree. :p

Congrats on the new get, Glenn.

Turn that puppy upside down, add some lights and tinsel, and voila! A Christmas tree. :p

Congrats on the new get, Glenn.

I'm with Vaughn...this sounds like a great idea...:D

pond scum is properly called duck weed in our parts:rofl: and only vaoughn would come up with the lightin idea,, at least yours is the right color.

Yeah! and the white colour of the filter looks like snow from here. So just needs the star at the top and presents at the base.:D
If someone asks just say it is a "postmodern style" tree.:rofl:

I meant to take more pics during the process but I was short people. A Genie-lift makes this really painless.

Genie-lift.jpg

There she blows . . . . er . . . well, you know.

Blower-housing-up.jpg

I'll keep posting as I go because other folk's detailed DC setup postings really helped me out. Hopefully there will be something here that may help someone else down the road.

Glenn,

I see blue tape on the big lag bolts that hold it to the wall.....

Did it really help?

My large washers ended up on the wrong side, even with the wonderful, magic, good for everything blue tape assist :)

Keep on posting. These threads are a big help to everyone.

I keep all my pictures in my web albums.

The blue tape did help but I think that was more due to the Genie-lift than anything. Being able to raise and lower and roll the unit back and forth to line it up was a great help. I did have to grind down the bolt heads about 1/32" to get the washers to slip in between the bolt-head and the housing flange. I am not sure why the clearance slots are too shallow but maybe it is a metric/SAE thing(?). The manual specifies 1/2" lag screws so one would expect them to fit, unmodified.

The install really didn't take long at all once the blower was up. I returned the lift, stopped by Rockler, went out to dinner and then got home about 7:30. It's 8:50 and here we are:

90-percent-1.jpg 90-percent-2.jpg

The bend in the hose feeding the filter will be resolved once I add the muffler. I'll dress in the cables and such as well. I need to call Grizzly about the muffler install. There is no way to get that muffler installed per the directions without a wild 'hump' in the hose path. The box is labeled as for the G0440 but this thing is 11" in diameter and 11" tall. If I set it on top of the filter it is as tall as the top of the blower housing(?). I may be able to get it installed another way but want to be sure it is supported.

I added a long length of pipe temporarily to allow testing. Pretty impressive under controlled circumstances; one coffee can of sawdust in, one can collected in the bin, nothing visible in the plastic bag under the filter. I ran the brush up and down a couple times and still nothing in the plastic bag but air. The remote is nice too.

Last edited:
Dad stopped by today and helped me lay in the first phase of ductwork. Dad had a routing idea that was different than any I had planned for. He also had a couple great tips on the support and mounting. Not bad for a guy with a batch of octogenarian gray matter.

I've removed the PSI overarm guard and if this becomes permenant, I will have to design a router fence hose path since the PSI hose used to serve that purpose. I may follow the design a few folks have used where the fence hose feeds off the router enclosure area. I may also find I miss the overarm too much to let it go.

Attachments

• Ducting_1-001.jpg
    Ducting_1-001.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 41
Looking good Glenn. Just remember every bend is costing you inches in static pressure. I will watch you post with careful attention. I have my dust collector up but not connected up yet. Still have to buy the duct.
Best of luck.

Dad stopped by today and helped me lay in the first phase of ductwork. Dad had a routing idea that was different than any I had planned for. He also had a couple great tips on the support and mounting. Not bad for a guy with a batch of octogenarian gray matter.

I've removed the PSI overarm guard and if this becomes permenant, I will have to design a router fence hose path since the PSI hose used to serve that purpose. I may follow the design a few folks have used where the fence hose feeds off the router enclosure area. I may also find I miss the overarm too much to let it go.

Hi Glenn.

I see that in the last pic you've put two blast gates one after the other. Is there any specific reason for that?? Or is just provisional?

Hi Toni, it is a little hard to see in the picture, but each of the blast gates you are looking at aren't on the main trunk duct, but are on two separate (looks like 2" or maybe 2 1/2") legs coming off the main trunk line. He just doesn't have a line or hose connected to the blast gates going to any tools yet.

I'll be interested in seeing the table and Jigs you make when you use those new tracks & clamps and how well the clamps work, 'cause I have the same tracks & clamps (still in the box) that I bought on sale a year ago to use on some jigs later on.:D

Hi Toni, it is a little hard to see in the picture, but each of the blast gates you are looking at aren't on the main trunk duct, but are on two separate (looks like 2" or maybe 2 1/2") legs coming off the main trunk line. He just doesn't have a line or hose connected to the blast gates going to any tools yet.

I'll be interested in seeing the table and Jigs you make when you use those new tracks & clamps and how well the clamps work, 'cause I have the same tracks & clamps (still in the box) that I bought on sale a year ago to use on some jigs later on.:D

You're right Norman! I must have been looking at the pic with my eyes closed!:D How on earth I thought that Glenn would do anything like that??

As per the table and jigs, well... maybe we can chase each other so that at least one of us get something done!:rofl::rofl:

Glenn, is that an electrical panel behind the main duct? I assume you left enough clearance to get into it to reset breakers, but how about service? Most codes require an unobstructed access of 36" in front of the box.