cypress beadboard ceiling

Chris Mire

ok, i put cypress beadboard on the ceilings under my porches on the new house. I need to finish it with a clear coat. my painter wants more than i want to pay, mostly because he wants to put a high grade exterior varnish on it which costs alot. i was just gonna spray it with poly, it isn't directly affected by sunlight, and it won't see any direct moisture except dew and any airborne moisture.

anyone have any idea whether ploy is good enough?

thanks

Chris,

I'm no expert, but I'm thinking you could use something like Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane on your ceiling. There may be similar or better products that can be sprayed.

Last edited:
i`d avoid putting a film finish outdoors.......think what a bugger it`ll be down the road trying to scrape the flakes outta the beads:eek:

The ceiling on my porches seem to take the worst beating of anything on the house. They get dirty and stay dirty. Mine are aluminum so even mold won't really hurt them but they are disgusting looking. I try to pressure wash every two years but the gunk still sticks. I think wood would need good protection. My guess is that because they are 'protected' moisture stays and rain doesn't reach to wash off. I would post a picture but it might violate forum obscenity prohibition. :rolleyes:

thanks frank, good info

Chris, I'm going to make a guess, about 33% educated, that you will be wise to use a synthetic finish such as poly rather than an organic like shellac, varnish, etc. Mold might just think those are delicious entrees.
You are using cypress, a very resistant wood to elements and buggies. Why finish at all?
Leave bare, let turn gray naturally. Bet it outlives you by a bunch. A thought, FWIW.

a really good reason frank...because i'd be sleeping out under that porch. i love the natural gray look of the weathered cypress. the wife however does not. i could go either way really, so i'll go her way and keep the peace. :D

thanks for the suggestion though

a really good reason frank...because i'd be sleeping out under that porch. i love the natural gray look of the weathered cypress. the wife however does not. i could go either way really, so i'll go her way and keep the peace. :D

thanks for the suggestion though

What the wife wants.......... No need to say more, trumps everything.
Yesterday I climbed the ladder to drape the house with Christmas lights. And, in case you hadn't noticed, I don't do ladders anymore. But the wife wanted........

I would Highly Suggest using a OIL BASED product. After a $33,000 oops with a exterior job of cypress that we ran. The finisher used a water based and a poly, ALL of the grain raised at the first sight of any moisture when it was installed. I know the builder and his finisher and I know what happened, and felt really bad. I made all the S4S that was put on the exterior of that house and Metered it at around 8% moisture before I ran it, so It was correct from the lumber company.
But after my rambling Try an oil base if you are using it for an exterior job. We won't warranty any exterior job if a oil based product is not used to seal the wood.

I put knotty pine under mine about 2.5 years ago. They look as good today as when I put them up. I prefinished with cabot oil stain with a ceder tint. Here's a couple pics.

Attachments

• roof2.jpg
    roof2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 12
  • roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 11
thanks jim, that is helpful

john, did you use just the stain or did you finish it with a cabot oil based sealer?

as it stands now i am going to let my painter do it with a sher/will exterior finish. not sure of the name, i think he said "monarch" can't remember though.

i was going to spray it myself but everything has to be covered. optimally this would have gone up before siding and brick. but i didn't have time to get to it.