Utility Trailer

Mike Gabbay

Well I think its time to get a utility trailer. Normally when I good for my wood hauls I rent a U-haul trailer. Well today I took off work to make a run for some maple, cherry and poplar. I go to get my U-haul trailer and bam! The trailer shorted out my lights! :eek:

I checked all the fuses (I thought) and they were fine. I take it to the mechanic and sure enough it was a fuse - $1.00 parts and $50 labor!

I get home and my wife says, "maybe it's time to buy a small trailer". She also has other motives (landscaping).

So any thoughts on what to look for in a small open trailer (4x8 or 5x8)? I'd like to get a larger wheel (14" - 15") than the ones I've seen (12") so it rides better at highway speeds.

Here's the one I got. Bolted together, and I put the plywood on it. I use it for hauling just about everything, form wood, to top soil, to "recycle" stuff, to furniture. $199 (reg $299) on sale. It's 4' x 8'.

I sometimes make short highway runs, but mostly standard roads within a 15 ~ 20 mile radius of home.

Last edited:
Mike is this going to be;

a) buy the kit at the Borg and put it together
b) buy a good used axle and build one
c) buy a good used trailer somewhere
d) buy new from a trailer dealer

:dunno:

Me, I'd do "b" for a few reasons, I'm cheap, and I know how to weld, and have a good welder :D I'd also try hard to get an axle that has the same sized wheels and bolt pattern as the car/truck you are going to use to haul the trailer.

One thing about some of the smaller trailers with them dinky little wheels is they are scary above tootling round town speeds, I'd opt for at least 12" wheels, and I mean at least!

Also if you build the trailer you can make it just how you like it, not rocket science, but not a total newbie project either.

Some of them Borg bolt together units are not half bad..........(did I actually just say that....?) but you got to look at maybe beefing them up a bit.

The next thing is the buy used route, sometimes you can get a screaming deal with these.

Also you have to look at brakes or no brakes.

Good luck!

Wish you lived closer, I have a 4x8 trailer that I rebuilt a couple years ago that I need to sell.

I need one a little bit wider for a new riding lawn mower. Mower deck is too wide for current one.

FWIW. When I rebuilt this trailer, I put on fairly good radial tires. I think they are 14 inch rims. With weight on that trailer, it runs and tracks well.

Joe

Mike,

I got mine at Northern Tool. Get the large wheels for sure. I got the fold up model and it is real handy if you are out of storage space. If you have a place to store it I would not go the fold up route as there are a couple of things to modify around if you are going to use sides. If you get one of the bolt togethers they are usually made so that a 4x8 piece of plywood will bolt directly to the frame which means that if you are going to haul plywood you have to leave the sides off or elevate one side to make them fit. The only other caution that I can think of is they are somewhat weight limited. Mine is 1000 lbs which had not restricted me yet. I pull mine with a 93 300xz and it is a little hard on my brakes but I emagine that since you are used to pulling trailers you have something more substantial.

Hey guys... Since I don't have a welder and too many other woodworking projects in queue I'm looking to buy new or used. Definately Craigslist is my main source for used.

I need to check the overall width of my mower. I think a 4' will work fine since my deck is around 40" wide.

For the wheels, the Carry-On trailers sold at Lowes and Tractor Supply have 12" wheels. That would be the smallest I'd want to go with. I've looked online and BigTex trailers come with 14 and 15" wheels. They also cost a bunch ($700+).

Joe if you are ever down this way I could meet you...

Like anything, shop around. I have found that trailer prices can vary tremendously between dealers. Yes, the larger wheels are nicer on the road. Although, the trailer I use to haul my ATV has 12" and hasn't been a problem. When you shop, choose a tilt-bed. That makes it usable for the riding lawn mower and gives a good excuse for buying an ATV. "But now I got a trailer and JUST HAVE TO HAVE......". :rofl: