Woodturning Set

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I don't venture into the vortex much, but want to get started doing a few small projects. I've got a couple of good knives but need to expand my pallette. A friend gave me a $10 coupon for Woodcraft this week and was considering the set below. Anyone use these before? And are they worth the money for a startup set?

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=145913&FamilyID=5238

Also saw this on their site, though it would make some cool gifts:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=836527&FamilyID=20158

Hi Darren

You might want to look at these as well. I bought a set from these guys and was originally worried they were junk when I saw the price. But they turned out to be fine. I cannot remember which set it was though.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lathe-chisel-sets.html

I dont recall them having such a huge selection when I was in the market. But they look at lot cheaper than Woodcraft. Watch the coupon issue though. Just because you have $10 bucks off dont make it worth it.
Best of luck I hope someone with more experience chimes in here.

Darren, I don't have them, but I know many people that bought the red handle set from Harbor Frieght and said they are great. I think they are around $45 or so. It doesn't come with a bowl gouge though.

I have read many people reccommend to people to buy a cheaper "set" learn to sharpen on it and what are the chisels become your "go to" ones and then buy the higher end models of those only.

Having said that, I use my homemade Oland tools for almost everything I do. I do use a spindle gouge and a round nose scraper sometimes as well.

Not a bad deal. But do consider Rob's suggestion about the PSI tools. That Woodcraft set has a couple you probably wouldn't be using for a while. I think the PSI offerings are a better deal. Use the gift cert. for something else.

Travel Mug Kit

I haven't done one yet, but think it would be fun.

I just had our club meeting last night with Jack Mcdaniels and his demo was the travel mug in question and he loves it.

He informed us of a cheaper way to get the kits though. Go to Home Depot and get the 2 pack of stainless travel mugs that are on sale for $5.95 a pair.

You can pop the bottom off, then cut up the outside lengthwise with metal shears and pop the body away from the upper rim. And you now have a travel mug kit for $3!!:)

I have a friend who has the Woodcraft set. I have used some of them several times and I showed him how to sharpen them. They seem to be good tools. My first set was the HF red handles. I still use a couple of them today. They are also a good choice.

As far as the travel mugs keith pointed you in a good direction. Also you can get mugs at wal mart with a plastic cover that screws off. The threads will be attached to the steel liner but a little heat and they slide right off. The wal mart mugs are a little taller than the woodcraft mugs making hollowing a little hard but they make a nice mug.

Darren,

That's not a bad set. To *me*, those are high end tools! ;)

But don't buy them until you use that gift card to buy a sharpening jig (like a wolverine, or something similar). Until you have at least that, you're likely to just mess up any tools you get. For my first set, I took everyone's advice and got the HF set. They were perfectly fine, because this was my sharpening strategy:
images

Didn't take me long to trash them, and when I finally got good ones, they felt pretty inadequate. If you have a good sharpening jig, it's worth skipping that step and buying the set you linked... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Make sure what ever you do that the cup liners you choose are stainless the plastic liners I have heard caution about the plastic esters coming out of the plastic when subject to hot liquid & you don't want to ingest the esters because they are bad for you. The plastic lid isn't quite so bad because the hot liquid isn't in contact with it all the time. Same thing goes for microwaving food in plastic use glass or something like Corningware.

Also I don't know about the rest of you but I like the wide bottomed narrow topped mugs for travel. Would a wood like teak & wiping it down with an oil be a better choice than some other finish? Also is there some way to make the liners removable for washing?

There is some back and forth on buying sets vs. individual tools. I'm of the school that says buy the best money can buy, carefully sharpen them and take care of them. One doesn't have to buy several tools at a time, but I do feel there is a difference between good enough and great. That being said, the day job allows for "price is no object", but better tools last longer between sharpening, hold a better edge, are better balanced, and have a higher quality of "fit and finish".

But, in the real world, trade-offs are a fact of life. The Penn State sets are very good and will give years of service. BTW, Woodcraft has their 8" slow speed grinder on sale and it comes with 120 grit and 60 grit white aluminum oxide grinding wheels. $80.

Last edited:
Darren,
I bought the bowl gouge set from PSI.. seems to be pretty good tools. Now I just need to learn how to use them better. My original set of tools were an el cheapo from Home Depot that came with my original lathe and I got a second set in a case market Jet when my son bought the Jet mini that I eventually would up with.. both sets appear to be the same and I've been using them for about 7 years now. Probably not the best, but they still work.

Hey All, Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a closer look at the Penn State stuff when I get home tonight.

Keith, Thanks for the advice on the cups, great tip!

Bill, I have that exact same sharpening jig, have also used the hand-held version in a pinch clamped to the bench upside down.

I think the Woodcraft set is OK for the sale price (including your $10 gift certificate), but I think the list price is too high. I'll also echo the suggestion to look at the Benjamin's Best tools from Penn State. I started out with the HSS set from Harbor Freight (the wood-colored handles) and still use a few of the tools that came in that set.

What are you primarily planning to turn? If you're thinking about getting into bowls, I'd recommend this set:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCBT4.html

I also concur with the recommendation to get or make a decent sharpening jig, especially if you are sharpening bowl gouges.

[Edit to add...] Man, I need to start reading to the end of the thread before I post. Looks like a lot of us think alike. :p

Just got an email from Penn State for $10 off a $75 online order...use coupon code 4DAYSAVE10

...is this a sign for you Darren?