My wife, bugs, critters, and heart attacks

Allen, thank for the funny story, sorry for your wife, and I agree with Toni, you blew it, could have had some good points there :D

I live with 3 women, all three are scared of various bugs, my eldest daughter will run screaming from the room if she sees a cockroach, I usually make her go back and deal with it, she does not like to do this, but I make her laugh by telling her

"What do you think that tiny little bug is thinking, here is this gigantic monster hopping up and down screamning, shaking the entire world"

She usually gets the humor of it.

The bugs that give me the creeps and I lash out and stomp them dead are the BIG cockroaches...........
AmericanCockroach1.jpg

and the Semi or Cicada.....
japan-600x340.jpg

We did not have so many big bugs in Canada, too cold in the winter I guess.

Snakes and such don't bother me too much.

:wave:

Allen, Funny story.

My wife is also scared of bugs, small rodents (mice, rats, hamsters, etc.), and snakes. Since we raised 3 kids (2 boys), she has gotten better over the years.

When we were first married, about (oh never mind) years ago, we were driving down the street at about 30 MPH when a moth started flying around inside the van. She had the door almost open and was about ready to step out when I grabbed her arm. After I got the van pulled over, and the moth out of the van, I was ready to scream.

She would also call a mouse a rat. So, when we would get a mouse in the house, she would say we have "rats" in the house and tell people that we had "rats" in our house. I would say we don't have rats, we have mice. Her response "they are the same thing". That was until she was over at a friends house that did have real rats. I was not there, but ever since that time, she has not called a mouse a rat.

Fast forward some number of years. The kids are little, so I was watching the kids one evening while she ran to the store to get milk and bread. I hear the automatic garage door opener open the garage door. The next thing I hear is the horn honking on the van. The first thing I though of was "she wants me to walk outside and carry in 1 or 2 little bags from the store?" So, I went to the garage door and she is standing up in the door of the van yelling "SNAKE!, SNAKE!, .... SNAKE!". I tried to get her to stop yelling "SNAKE!" long enough to tell me where. She said "IN THE GARAGE!". Now in those days, I didn't have as much shop equipment in the garage as I do today, but there still enough places for a snake to hide that it would take forever to find it. Trying to get an answer out of someone that is hysterical is almost impossible. I did find the snake, a water moccasin, it did not live.

That is enough stories for now, if she ever reads this, I'm in the dog house for years. I will save the story from about 6 years ago when the skunk got into the garage and sprayed her for another day.

Mike

Good Story

Allen, you definitely blew it by laughing DAMHIKT:eek:. My wife is pretty easy with bugs-she takes them outside and lets them go. Spiders are another story. Every spider is a Brown Recluse to her and deadly-even though they don't normally live up here (which I have tried to explain to her to no avail). She understands and is mostly sympathetic to Nature's creatures, as long as they are out in Nature where they belong. I'm fairly tolerant of the creepy crawlies unless they startle me. We don't have poisonous snakes around here except in a few isolated areas, and no large spiders or scorpions.

And Vaughn-where did you gat that copy of the Man's Handbook ??? I never got mine when I got married and could really use some help.:eek::D:thumb:

I'm lucky I guess, bout the only thing that freaks the wife out is daddy long legs, I don't know what they really are but she hates them, but she does kill them on her own. :thumb:

I guess our only funny bug story involves me. We where living in Macon GA, in a cheap rental when we first got there. We had what I called a cockroach, they called them something else, but they looked like a roach to me. Any way we where sitting there watching TV one evening and one proceeds to scamper back and forth on the TV screen.

I'm out of my chair in a flash beating the tar out of the TV trying to kill it. Mean while the wife, and one of my nephews are laughing like hyenas!! Turns out it was an Orkin commercial and I was killing a roach made of electrons :rolleyes:

Nah, no discharging firearms for bugs.
One of the things I miss about living in Albuquerque was the summer evening cockroach hunts in the back yard with the BB gun. I lived in a couple houses with cinder block backyard walls, and at night the cockroaches would come out and hang out on the wall. Easy pickin's with the ol' Daisy. I even got my dad into cockroach hunting at my parents' place. :p I've done a fair amount of indoor hunting, too, but only when I was living in rented bachelor accommodations. (And I patched and painted any wall divots before moving out.) I suspect LOML would frown on the practice now.

"A homesteader and his wife in this town heard a rattling one night in their log cabin. They woke up to find a black bear had somehow made its way into their cabin and was rummaging through the kitchen looking for foodstuffs. So scared was the man that he ran up the ladder and into his loft and crouched there, shaking and trembling in fear. His wife on the other managed to kill the bear and yelled for her husband to come down from the loft. Once he got down he asked his wife "how in the world are WE going to explain neighbors how we killed the bear?"

Lincoln Plantation, Hancock County, Massachusetts Bay Colony 1772
(as written in A History of Thorndike 1919) (formerly Lincoln Plantation)

Talk about Role-Reversals. :rofl: