Penn State Industries Question

Ed Nelson

Has anyone else had problems with Penn State Industries' customer service? I bought a gift certificate for my dad several months ago and he has had nothing but trouble trying to use it.

I'm in the process of writing a letter to their customer service, but I'd really like to send a copy directly to the owner. Anyone have any contact info?

Has anyone else had problems with Penn State Industries' customer service? I bought a gift certificate for my dad several months ago and he has had nothing but trouble trying to use it.

I'm in the process of writing a letter to their customer service, but I'd really like to send a copy directly to the owner. Anyone have any contact info?

Customer WHAT???

They ain't got none! I've ordered from them about four times, and been dis-satisfied three, CS has never helped me. On one occasion they just told me I'd ordered the wrong product, and hung up.

Never again for me. I still get their catalogs in the mail, but they go right into the trash, still in their poly wrapper.

They may not be as efficient as some of the other suppliers, but, in the end, they are customer oriented. You will find a name and e-mail address on the web site for just such complaints. Keep plugging away.

Thanks all. I had the impression that they were a decent company to work with when I ordered the gift certificate. Here is the letter I sent through their on site email:

I bought a gift certificate for my father, xxxx xxxxxx in Kimberling City MO., a while back from Penn State and he has had nothing but problems since trying to use the certificate.

Order Number : xxxxxxx
Placed : 08/20/2008 21:44:55 EDT

He originally tried using the certificate for a couple chucks he bought, but after entering the certificate number he was not given credit. When he called your customer service, he was accused of not entering the code correctly. I don't know of many companies that come out and accuse their customers doing something wrong, even if that is the case. It is not very smart business.

He has since ordered some candle holder kits to use the gift certificate. On several occasions he has called to check the status of the order. The response each time has been the kits are on back order, but they have just come in and will ship out that day. Yet he still doesn't have his order. He was just given the same story on Friday.

While I fully understand that mistakes happen, Penn State has made no effort to make the mistake right. I am quite sorry I chose your company to do business with and have unwittingly forced my father to do business with you as well.

I always enjoy posting about exceptional customer service on several well read forums, but I will also be glad to help others avoid a frustrating experience with a company that provides poor service!

I sincerely hope you will make this right so I can post positively about how PSI made this right.

Ed Nelson
704-488-2723

I'll see what happens

It seems odd that after talking to someone there would still be a problem. Has he tried placing the order by telephone and reading the card number to customer service? That might help pinpoint the problem. They are a good company but if you still get messed around, I would simply copy the gift cert. and mail complaints to the Atty General of Pennsylvania and your own state. That will get their attention.

Last edited:
Thanks Frank. Yes, he has called them on several occasions. It gives me some hope that a lot of people seem to be happy with them. Unfortunately an equal number of people seem to have had problems with them. I'll see what happens with the note I sent them.

Thanks Frank. Yes, he has called them on several occasions. It gives me some hope that a lot of people seem to be happy with them. Unfortunately an equal number of people seem to have had problems with them. I'll see what happens with the note I sent them.

'stuff' happens even with good companies. Every quarter, my local newspaper discontinues delivery for subscription "non-payment". Strangely, I have authorized an automatic withdrawal. They keyed it in wrong and even though I complain right up to top management they never seem to get it entered correctly. Good luck.

I don't have any experience with their customer service. I was disappointed with the quality of the merchandise I received. I think cheap kits that the plating flakes off were not real bargains. Reading posts in various forums; lack of quality is the general comments about PSI.

I am with Jim; their catalogs went to trash. There are plenty reliable mail order vendors of turning related items; I don't miss them.

I bought my PSI Barracuda from Amazon...better price. I've seen some PSI kits in our local turning shop and wasn't impressed. As a shamless plug, I have had nothing but "The Best" service, customer and tech as well, from CS

I don't have any experience with their customer service. I was disappointed with the quality of the merchandise I received. I think cheap kits that the plating flakes off were not real bargains. Reading posts in various forums; lack of quality is the general comments about PSI.

I am with Jim; their catalogs went to trash. There are plenty reliable mail order vendors of turning related items; I don't miss them.

We digress....but....wats new?
I do not buy pen kits from PSI because of shoddy plating. Other stuff, yes, pen kits, no.

If by chance PSI has something that I want, I call up Woodturningz and order it from them. I usually get a much better price and always get better service. Seems I normally call them at night after hours. They never fail to call me the next weekday morning to make sure I get what I want and need. In fact, when I talk to them before 10-11 AM, I typically have it in two days, if not the next.

Not Happy

I purchased some acrylic blanks from Penn State because the love of my life likes to pick out new colors. They must have had too much catalyst in them as they were powdery when turned. I have turned several hundred acrylic blanks from CUSA and Woodcraft without any problem but these were junk. To fair, I ordered 2 each of 10 colors and had problems with 6 colors, the others were fine.

I also bought some Gatsby pen kits. I should have been worried when there were instructions for repairing the pen kits if they didn't work. I got 1 out of 5 to work well enough that I would consider selling or giving the pen as a gift.

My order was shipped promptly and I got everything I ordered. Just didn't want some of what I got.

The titanium bottle stoppers are very nice and sell well.

Well, I sent a note through their on line email Saturday. I expected to get something today, but no response at all.:dunno: I was given a contact name over the weekend and will try to contact her directly.

I also strictly use Ryan from Woodturningz.com as he usually undersells the PSI catalog and handles everything in it. His turnaround time is amazing and the contacts, Ryan or Beth. They have been excellent for my students projects.