Target USL finishes - shipping when it's cold outside?

Jason Vanick

Per advice received over in woodworking when I was asking about finishing Mahogony, Target USL water-borne finishes were suggested.

It appears that I can't buy it locally and it would have to be shipped.. which I'm ok with, but now that it's getting colder... do I have to worry about it freezing on the way to me? I know that UPS trucks aren't necessarily heated... is there a anti-freeze agent in the finish, or ???

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
-J

I try to stock up for the winter before the freeze season, but I have ordered in mid-winter by looking for a forecast where it won't be too bad for a few days.

The larger quantities are drop shipped from the factory in New Jersey (the 5 gallon pails that I usually buy), but smaller quantities are stocked by dealers like Jeff Jewitt (Homestead Finishing) in Cleveland, which may be enough closer to you to save a day in transit. I suspect that the UPS warehouses, while probably not air conditioned to office standards, are probably warm enough for the folks who have to work there, so the packages are well above freezing when they are loaded for each 12 hour leg on a truck. I would still avoid cold spells, but probably wouldn't panic if part of the trip were below freezing.

I wonder how it gets from Target to Homestead in the winter? I think I remember there being a note on Homestead's site about cold weather shipping.

I just ordered a gallon a two weeks ago because I expect to need it over the winter and it was on sale. Then last week it was only in the 20's. I got it just in time!

I just received two quarts today via UPS from New Jersey... it had a "protect from freezing" label on it, but I thought it had been really cold up there. Somebody must have thought it was okay to ship.